If I got a rhinoplasty, what would the procedure entail? I don't like my wide bridge or my large/undefined tip.

If I got a rhinoplasty, what would the procedure entail?

+1

A Rhinoplasty can thin the nasal bones and refine the nasal tip.  I suspect that the chin is also weak...a Chin Implant would balance the entire lower face, further de-emphasizing the nose.

You may be a great candidate for surgery

+1

Since I am assuming you have not had a rhinoplasty before your case should be straight forward. Having it done correctly the first time is essential as revisions entail a lot more. You will need a complete rhinoplasty that includes fracturing your bones to narrow the bony width and tip work that may include special suture techniques such as spanning sutures.  More detail can be given at the consultation as your nose needs to be examined thoroughly inside and out and from different angles. Good luck!

Frank Scaccia, MD, FACS
Red Bank Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty concerns

+1

You present with a challenging problem of a particularly wide nose with widely flared nasla bones and quite a broad tip . How far your wide bridge can be narrowed depends on how wide your internal nasal breathing passage is - if your breathing is already poor with a narrow breathing space then excessive narrowing will help you from an aesthetic point of view but make your breathing worse. This can only be assessed by a face to face consultation. 

Andrew L. Greensmith, MBChB, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for wide nose and undefined tip

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure would involve osteotomies to significantly narrow the  nasal bones and corresponding upper lateral cartilages. The tip of your nose could be addressed through a combination of cartilage removal or suturing techniques. For examples of wide noses similar to your  that we have repaired in our practice, please see the link a below to our  photo gallery.

Rhinoplasty for wide nasal bridge

+1

Your posted photo supports your concerns. The procedure entails using a chisel to free the bones on the sides of the bridge so they can be moved towards the midline thereby narrowing the bridge. Trimming the upper portion of the tip cartilages can refine the tip. These procedures are standard parts of rhinoplasty surgery and can be performed via the nostrils without any outside incisions.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the photo.  I would say that other views would be helpful.  The best way to evaluate you is in person.  However, nasal width can be reduced and the tip can be treated as well.  Good luck.

Rhinoplasty for wide nose

+1

When see someone like you in my office, I am excited to see them. A fairly wide nose with poor tip definition leaves a lot of room for improvement. With natural but profound changes there are high levels of satisfaction. A side view would permit additional discussion. but in its absence I can say that a rhinoplasty for this type of nose requires osteotomies (potentially with wedge excision of bone for the medial component of the boney work), spreader flaps to prevent mid vault collapse and control midvault width (this might seem paradoxical but the experienced/initiated will agree), possible cephalic reduction of lower lat cartilages, and tip shaping sutures. Good luck. Would love to see you in Austin - we have an airport.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, What does it entail?

+1

The first step in Rhinoplasty is a person to person consultation with Board Certified Physician.  Photos of your nose in different angles, which includes the profile view will be necessary for complete evaluation.  Your nose is well centered and relatively straight, indicating that your septum is straight.  The tip may be defined by resecting part of your tip cartilages on the sides or what we term "cephalic border of lower lateral cartilages".  There are two cartilages, known as the domes of the tip/nose.  These domes are wide apart on your nose.  Suture techniques to bring them closer together will better define the tip.  Depending on the profile view, cartilage graft to the tip may be necessary.  Then bone osteotmies will decrease the width of your bridge.  Internal and External splints immediately post-op will allow you to breathe while protecting the nose, thus minimizing discomfort.  Best wishes, Yongsook Victoria Suh, M.D.

Yongsook Victoria Suh, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Nose Surgery for Wide Bridge and Undefined Tip

+1

First thing is that in your photo you appear to be quite young, though it is hard to be sure. For the most part, surgeons will only do nose surgery (rhinoplasty ) on people 18 and over, though I will consider doing surgery as young as 16 if x-ray evaluation shows that the individual is near skeletal maturity (usually done with hand xrays). Assuming you are old enough, narrowing your nose would involve moving the nasal bones (osteotomies) and reducing and narrowing the nasal tip cartilage. These are both basic components of rhinoplasty surgery.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Complete Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi there,

It looks like you need both bridge work and tip work. I can't say about the profile since you have only posted a frontal view. 

However your tip would be very nicely refined witha suture technique. There are no obvious asymmetries and the domes are in a nice position. There's just a wide space between then that needs to be closed with sutures. A little cartilage trim would also be helpful. 

The bones can be narrowed with osteotomies and if there are any profile concerns, those can be addressed at the same time.

As long as you find someone with enough experience doing tip work, you should have a nice result. There seems to be nothing overly difficult that you need.

all the best

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon