Extremely Scared Pre-rhinoplasty

Hi, my name is April, I'm 26, and healthy. However, I'm having Rhinoplasty in a few weeks, I am extremely scared! I have had corrective nasal surgery before when I was in high school. Being said, although I have had a similar procedure before; should I be this afraid to receive anesthesia and fatal complications from the surgery? Is there any extra precautions I can be made aware of to reduce my risk of something terrible taking place?!?

Very Scared and Nervous Before Rhinoplasty

+5

Hi Apeach, 

Consider the following comments regarding being scared about your upcoming rhinoplasty:

• In my many years of being involved with doing some sort of nasal surgery and Rhinoplasty on many patients, I have never seen something "very bad happening" with anesthesia.
  • Typically, we are able to keep patients under light anesthesia. Patients do really well and rarely have minor problems.
  • I would suggest you make another appointment with your surgeon and share your concerns with him. He will be able to alleviate your fears and make you more confident about safety and the outcome.
  • Having your surgery done in a good facility that is accredited is key.
  • Please make sure that your surgeon is experienced, caring and has passion for rhinoplasty.
  • Also, meet your Board-Certified Anesthesiologist that will administer your anesthesia.
  • Generally speaking, driving is more dangerous than being under anesthesia.
  • The more you know about all these, the more you will be comfortable and confident with your surgery.

Hope this was helpful.

Good Luck,

Dr. Sajjadian

Extremely scared pre-rhinoplasty

+2

Why not make a pre operative appointment with your chosen surgeon to discuss and attempt to alleviate your fears and concerns. This is called informed consent. If my patients have any fears or concerns it is better NOT to operate until they understand everything. From MIAMI Dr. B

Anxiety prior to rhinoplasty

+1

There are no extra precautions that need to be taken regarding the anesthesia during a rhinoplasty. Make sure you have a board certified physician anesthesiologist in attendance while you are asleep. It is also important to have your surgery performed in a certified ambulatory surgery center. Medicare certification is the gold standard for ambulatory surgery center certifications. Make sure your surgeon has performed thousands of rhinoplasties so as to understand all of the nuances with the rhinoplasty operation.

Nervous Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Peach,

A small bit of nervousness is a very appropriate response.  If you have a considerable amount of nervousness I would recommend visiting again with your surgeon to review the entire process and get any lingering questions/concerns addressed.  Aesthetic surgery in the hands of qualified medical personnel is very safe.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Pre surgery jitters

+1

It is normal to be nervous before surgery.  I am more worred about patients who are not a bit nervous. This will go away once you have the surgery and you come out with a great result!

Rhinoplasty is extremely safe

+1

You have a much higher risk of being involved in an accident on your drive to the surgery center than you do of having an anesthetic problem with Rhinoplasty.  This is a very safe procedure and you will do great.  I always have my patients get cleared by their internists just to make sure there are no rare disorders of the heart or anything that have been undiagnosed.  If you area healthy person there is very little to worry about.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Rhinoplasty surgery and anesthesia

+1

The best indicator as to how you will do with anesthesia is that you have had the procedure before. Typically, patients that have previously had anesthesia without problems should have the same results. While the amount of surgery can impact the recovery, the anesthetic risks which are minimal should be the same. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Extremely Scared and Nervous Pre-Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi April,

Your feelings are normal and common before any type of surgery.  Discuss your feelings with your surgeon and have the type of anesthesia you will be recieving explained to you.  Usually with rhinoplasty we are able to keep patients relatively "light" under anesthesia because of the local anesthesia that we inject before the operation.  This generally makes the risks of anesthesia much less.  Once you can trust your surgeon, you can project your fears and anxiety onto your surgeon (who does this operation 100's of times), instead of keeping within yourself (you have had anesthesia once or twice).  George Burns, when told by his bypass heart surgeon before his surgery that he "doesn't look nervous at all", replied to his surgeon, "I'm not nervous, YOU are the one who should be nervous!"  Trust your surgeon, and let him/her be nervous for you.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Pre operative anxiety before rhinoplasty.

+1

In more than 35 years of doing rhinoplasty I have never had any problem with anything "bad" happening. Try to relax realizing that you have more risk driving to the office than surgery.

Extreme Anxiety Pre-Rhinoplasty

+1

I have never seen the serious complications that concern you. If talking to your surgeon does not relieve your anxiety, seek  professional help with a psychologist or psychiaatrist. Pre-operative caution is encouraged, but you have taken this beyond the norm.