Rhinoplasty in Tennessee...

Im having trouble on deciding on a doctor for rhinoplasty in TN. Should i go with someone on the ABO (with ABFPRS/AAFPRS) or ABPS. Any recommendations on a surgeon or on whether ABO/ABPS would be extremely helpful.

Surgeon for rhinoplasty

+2

I am very pleased to see that there are no responses saying that you should only see surgeons from one particular board. This is a foolish notion that is deceiving to patients. As all of the helpful doctors here have already stated, the best thing to do is find a surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty. It is probably wise to find someone who emphasizes rhinoplasty in their practice. This could be either be a facial plastic surgeon (who typically also have ENT training) or plastic surgeon. Good luck with your search.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choose Rhinoplaty surgeon based on reputation not hoard affiliation

+2

Rhinoplasty surgeons can be part of ABFPRS, ABPS, ABCS...or some others I'm sure that I'm forgetting. I've performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, you should have a few consultations with Rhinoplasty surgeons with good reputations, see if your agree with their aesthetic judgement and then choose based on those factors, not their board affiliations. You'll be happier in the end.

Specialties for rhinoplasty

+2

Either speciality (ABFPRS or ABPS) is fine, but given the complex nature of rhinoplasty choose someone whose practice is primarily weighted toward rhinoplasty. I wouldn't bother asking how many they've done or how many they do since there's no way to verify that number and they could be lying through their teeth.

However, you can get a sense of how many rhinoplasty operations they do by looking at their before and after photos. If most of their pictures are breast augmentation, tummy tucks, or facelifts, it's reasonable to assume that the surgeon's primary interest is not nose jobs. OTOH, if there are a lot of rhinoplasties and the results look good to you, then you might have better odds with that surgeon.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to choose a rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

Having a good nose job requires a nose specialist and a skilled surgeon. You also want to take into account whether you feel comfortable with the surgeon, as well as the doctor's experience and other qualifications. Always choose a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty. Be sure to check his before and after pictures to get a feel for the results the doctor has previously produced for other patients. Good luck. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Kevin Sadati, DO

Rhinoplasty surgeon in Tennessee

+2

It is really your choice to go with an ENT or Plstic Surgeon for a rhinoplasty. I know for a plastic surgeon you can start by going to the ASPS or ASAPS websites and looking in your area.

Researching For The Right Rhinoplasty Surgeon For You

+2

Regardless of ABO or ASPS specialty, there are good rhinoplasty surgeons in each one. You need to get several consultations by both in your area and see which doctor feels the most comfortable to you. I would also analyze how many rhinioplasties they do a year and their interest in this type of surgery. Look and ask for photos of noses that have some similarity to your nose. With some good research on your behalf, you will find the right rhinoplasty surgeon for you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty in Tennessee...

+2

Dear Meg, whether you choose a surgeon from the ENT   or from the plastic surgery  sub specialties you should make sure that he /she are well versed into rhinoplasty.Interview a few and  ask to talk  and see some of their former nasal cosmetic patients.

Erel Laufer, MD

Seeking a rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

Dear Meg23,

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon is very important.  There are several things to consider as you do so:

Is he/she board certified?  Both ABFPRS and ABPS have well qualified surgeons who perfrom rhinoplasty.  You should make sure that whomever you see that you feel comfortable with them and that they routinely perform rhinoplasty as a part of their practice.  

How many do they do each year?  You should feel free to ask how many they perform and ask to see results or to speak with some of their patients.

What happens if there is a problem or complication?  How is this handled and would you feel comfortable bringing up a problem to this surgeon?

Get a second opinion.  You are going to have a major surgery that will alter your appearance and you should do yourself a favor and get at least two opinions before settling on a surgeon.  You want to make sure that you feel good about your decision as you move forward.

The AAFPRS and the ASPS both have excellent resources online that can assist you in finding the right surgeon for you.  Good luck! 

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon