Should I Be Getting Rhinoplasty if I Have the Tendency to Get Fungal Infection on the Face?

I am planning to have a rhinoplasty somewhere in April which will involve the usage of implant. But what's bothering me is this fungal infection that I have on my face. I'm also worried about the post op treatment which involves prescription of antibiotic. Will it effect my immune system and worsen my condition. Can anti fungal drug be prescribed along with antibiotics and multivitamins and will it effect my kidney function?

Rhinoplasty and Fungal Infection

+2

If you have a fungal infection, it can be treated and eliminated before surgery. If you have a history of these infections discuss this with your surgeon and if necessary an evaluation by an infectious disease specialist, who can answer your multiple questions about bacterial and fungal infections.

Rhinoplasty and facial fungal infection--what to do?

+2

If you have a facial fungal infection now, this should be eradicated prior to considering elective cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery, especially involving the use of an implant. You obviously have seen a rhinoplasty surgeon or surgeons; did you make them aware of your facial fungus tendency? Is this new? Is this being treated by your dermatologist? And is it anticipated to be cured definitively, or is this something that you periodically have problems with? Are you immunosuppressed or on immunosuppressant medication (including prednisone or other steroids)? Do you have fungus elsewhere (athlete's foot, vaginal yeast infection, jock itch, etc.) and periodically transfer it to your face with your hands?

Antibiotics do not adversely affect the immune system, they work in concert with your own natural immune system to minimize the risk of bacterial infections, the most common ones following injury or surgery. If an implant becomes infected (by bacteria, which are treated by antibiotics), or even fungal organisms (very rare, unless you have an active infection, are immunosuppressed, or are already on chronic antibiotic therapy--which kill bacteria but are ineffective for fungus, thereby sort of facilitating their growth), the implant must be surgically removed to allow the infection to be treated with the proper antibiotic or anti-fungal.(More surgery to replace it--same problem all over again, so get it right the first time!)

It sounds as if you have some concerns about your immune system. Topical anti-fungal creams do not affect kidney function, nor do most oral anti-fungal medications. Intravenous anti-fungal medicines are reserved for the truly nasty fungal infections, and can indeed affect kidney function, as can certain types of "big-gun" antibiotics.

For the healthy patient who has no infection (fungal or otherwise) at the time of elective rhinoplasty surgery, even with an implant, "standard" antibiotic prophylaxis will be administered, and possibly used intraoperatively as irrigation or rinse for your implant. For the healthy patient with normal kidney function, this is not an issue at all. For the normal patient with a healthy immune system, these are not issues to be concerned about. Oral anti-fungal medication can be prescribed at the same time as oral antibiotic is used.

Please discuss this with your surgeon BEFORE scheduling your surgery! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and fungal infections

+2

It all depends on what kind of implant you are getting. Synthetic materials tend to have a higher rate of infection. Cartilage, your own or cadaver, tends to have much less. I would find out which one you will have, as having a synthetic implant will always put you at a higher risk of developing infections.

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

You should be full recovered from any infection of the face prior to having rhinoplasty. Just good medicine to practice. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski