Is 15 Years Old Too Young for Rhinoplasty?

I am a 15-year-old male. I want to have Rhinoplasty performed and I want to know if it is safe and recommended for my age. My goal isn't to be more popular or well liked, I just want to be able to love my body and be a more confident person. In other words, I loathe my nose. It is big, ugly, and has been making me fearful my whole life. It has a large bump, and is just overall to big. Help!

15 Is Too Young For Rhinoplasty

+3

Thank you for your question. Major anatomical changes occur with growth and maturation between ages 15-18 especially in males. Wait until you are 18 to consider Rhinoplasty. Your face will grow and change between now and then which could alter the effects of a Rhinoplasty done now.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-rhinoplasty-nose-surgery/

+1
Having a nose that is out of character with your face because it is too large, bulbous, large hump can be a difficult issue during growing up and a source of lowered esteem and confidence. Although surgery to re-shape the nose with rhinoplasty can improve the appearance of the nose it is important that other factors are considered:
  • Teenage years are one of the most challenging periods in our lives. As we develop from childhood to adulthood, our physical appearance takes center stage. Although teenage insecurities are a normal part of adolescence, if a young person’s self-esteem is adversely affected by unsatisfactory facial features, such as the shape or size of one’s nose, then rhinoplasty may provide a solution.
  • Physical growth of the nose is complete towards 13 to 16 years old for girls and 15 to 17 years old for boys. Adolescents should only seek nasal reconstructive surgery when their noses have reached their full size. Most boys mature later than girls, and this explains why their procedures typically take place later.
  • Psychology and maturity are important, as are the ability to understand the concepts of surgery with rhinoplasty. Teenagers must determine their reason for surgery and evaluate the benefits and drawbacks.
  • Consultation and discussion over objectives from rhinoplasty, understanding of the surgery as well as expectations from surgery are important throughout the decision-making process. The teenager needs to be sufficiently mature to cope with the recovery period, which may involve bleeding, bruising, discomfort and swelling.
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is 15 Too Young?

+1

At 15 years of age, if you are a female and you have not grown anymore, this is the earliest age you can do a rhinoplasty especially if there is both aesthetic and functional deformity. In a male, I like to wait until they are at age 17.

I wait until my male patients have reached the age of 18

+1

In my practice, I would prefer to wait until my male patients have reached the age of 18 before Rhinoplasty is performed.  The exception to this are the cases of traumatic nasal deformities; which I operate on as soon as possible to avoid future problems.  In my opinion waiting a few more years is worth not having to deal with poor out come for the rest of your life.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait until 17 years old for male rhinoplasty

+1

It is advised to wait until age 16 or 17 for men since the nose and face have not finished growing at this point. At that 17, it is acceptable to undergo a rhinoplasty to change and alter the shape of the tip and bridge.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

15 years is old enough for rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, 15 years is old enough but it has to be a conservative rhinoplasty.  Special attention should be paid to not reducing the dorsum too much. Any work on the nasal septum has to be only minimal to straighten it and no cartilage should be removed.

Regards

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Age

+1

You are right around the cut off. The reason we dont like do surgery at an early age is because the face has not completely grown, so the chance of needing revision surgery does increase. Knowing this and if you are willing to take the chance then I would move forth.

You are around the earliest age I would perform rhinoplasty for a female patient.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-nose-surgery-rhinoplasty-newport-beach.php

You should be fine physiologically

+1

A 15 year old male is generally old enough for rhinoplasty.

This operation is emotionally stressful as it changes your appearance, and so you must be mature enough to handle that aspect.

Good luck.

Age for rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

For a boy, 15 is definitely too young to have a rhinoplasty.  Boys' faces grow more slowly. 

Also, boys mature psychologically more slowly.  In New York, we typically wait till a boy is 17 or so.

You should consult now for Rhinoplasty

+1

Most males at 15 are still growing. The best idea is to visit with an experienced cosmetic nasal surgeon. Discuss your desires and be examined. The doctor will ask a lot of questions regarding your physical maturation. Most likely, he or she will suggest waiting one year.

What will help is taking photos at the current consultation. When you return one year later, follow-up photos will tell -- objectively -- if your facial structure has changed. If not, it might be the right time. Or, the doctor may feel it is still best to wait.

There are many factors that go into the decision whether or operate or not so be sure to have a family member join you at the consultation. It's a big decision and they want to help you make the right decision.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.