New Rhinoplasty Technique for Deviated Septum Correction?

I have had a deviated septum corrected and other nasal surgery to try to make my nose passages open, so I can breathe easier. Now, my nasal passages are closing again. I saw on "Beyond Tomorrow" on TV that the Russians have a new technique called something like Laser Septo Control Correction that is painless and can do the job. Is it available here, and is there anything to this? Thanks.

Nothing new.

+2

This is nothing new. Lasers make cuts and stop bleeding like traditional methods. You have to remove the deviated part of the cartilage and or bone to open the airway. See an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon and let him guide you out of trouble.

It's just not a good idea

+1

With respect to placing a laser inside the nose, this is more of a gimmick than reality. The laser is simply a cutting tool, just as a knife or scissors are. Laser, since it burns tissue it takes longer to heal, and we cannot completely control where the laser is burning on the inside of the nose. It is just not a good idea.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Not in the US.

+1

Hi Jose,

Although lasers are not new in the field of surgery, new applications are being explored on an ongoing basis. Most lasers are only cutting, vaporizing, or "burning" tools that can be used in surgery as an alternative to cutting with scalpels.

While there are advantages in some types of operations, nasal airway surgery is generally more structural, and involves removal or reshaping of parts of the septum to improve the nasal airway.

I am aware of studies to develop non-cutting, or non-burning lasers that can help to reshape cartilage with heat, but their use appears to be far away in the reshaping of a deviated septum.

The likely causes for your nasal obstruction after having septum surgery are as follows:

1. Inferior turbinate hypertrophy
  2. Re-deviation of the septum
  3. Nasal allergies causing congestion
  4. Nasal polyps causing nasal congestion and obstruction
  5. Collapse of the nasal valves (junction between the sidewalls and the top of the septum at the bridge)
  6. Synechiae - a fancy word for scarring between the septyum and the turbinates or side walls inside the nose.

I would agree with the other doctors that a complete evaluation by a rhinoplastic surgeon will help to determine the cause of your nasal obstruction and the best treatment for you.

Dr. T

Laser Septo Control Correction, From Russia With Love

+1

Hi Jose,

I have not heard of the Russian treatment. Lasers have been used as a cutting and vaporizing tool for many years.

"Painless" is a subjective term in medicine. Relatively painless may be a better description that is applicable to Radiofrequency Volumetric Tissue Reduction (known as Somnoplasty of the Inferior Nasal Turbinates) which is a safe and very effective treatment for the improvement of nasal breathing by shrinkage of the inferior nasal turbinates.

You should be evaluated by a nasal surgeon specialized in evaluation and treatment of nasal obstruction. The exact cause of your obstruction needs to be diagnosed accurately to be able to treat and correct the problem.

Good luck with your breathing.

Dr. P