Normal to Have Swollen Septum After Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty a month ago, and my septum is still obviously swollen. I can really see it when I look into my nose. I was wondering, is this is normal or common, and what I can do about it? Could it affect the healing process and obstruct my tip and nostrils from settling?

Septal Swelling After Nasal Surgery

+1

Septal swelling after rhinoplasty is very common.  Tenderness or a foul smell would bother me. When there is any doubt, see your surgeon. If you were my patient, I would want to examine you.   

Swollen septum is normal

+1

The septum will be swollen after a rhinoplasty due to just lymphatic edema on the outside of the nose. The swelling will subside; however, it does take several months for complete resolution.

It depends on what was done.

+1

It is normal to have swelling of the septum after surgery. You should have your surgeon take a look to make sure there is no infection or other problem. 

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty can cause persistent swelling that may last weeks to months after nasal surgery. In cases of persistent swelling, discuss with your plastic surgeon in order to minimize the risk of hematoma or seroma in the septal area. In most cases, the swelling is caused by edema that will subside with time.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS