Rhinoplasty Swelling?

Hi! I had a rhinoplasty procedure done 6 months ago and my nose still gets very swollen when I wake up in the morning, and the swelling goes down as the day goes by. Is this normal after 6 month? Thank you!

Rhinoplasty swelling

It is not abnormal to have residual swelling 6 months after your procedure. In general, it can take 18-24 months to see the final result of your surgery. 70% of the swelling resolves after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. Swelling may be influenced by thickness of the patient's skin, whether tip work was performed, and whether the procedure was open or closed. Your surgeon will be able to best answer any of your questions about swelling, as they know the details of your surgery. I hope this helps, and good luck! 

Rhinoplasty Swelling?

I have performed Rhinoplasty for 25 years and in most primary Rhinoplasty the swelling lasts 6-9 months and longer in Revision Rhinoplasty.  We have all of our Rhinoplasty patients perform daily manual lymphatic drainage to reduce the post op swelling.  

When will swelling stop after rhinoplasty?

Everyone is different with how much they swell after any procedure, especially rhinoplasty. While you cannot control your genetics with wound healing and post-surgical swelling, you can be actively involved in the process. I have found that noses that swell the most are revisions, or certain ethnicities which have thick oily skin that is not retractile. There are steps you can take to help reduce swelling. Taping, steroid injections, and massaging are all helpful. 6 months post-rhinoplasty swelling is completely normal and 3 to 6 months is really the plateau of swelling. Everything should get better and better from here on. You will have bad days and good days. I have many videos of patients just 2 to 3 months after rhinoplasty who have minimal swelling. You can call my office to see how this is best made possible if you like.

Warmest Regards

Dr Ghavami

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Swelling of nose after 6 months

It is not uncommon for the nose to still be a bit swollen 6 months after rhinoplasty surgery especially in the morning when you wake up and when you exert yourself.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

This is not unheard of.  It truly does take at least a year for all the swelling to go away completely.  It's actually longer with thicker skin.  If you are worried about it, check with your surgeon. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon