Rhinoplasty Swelling 6 Weeks Post Op?

I had an open rhinoplasty 6 weeks ago and the tip and lower portion of my nose is swollen and hard to touch, i know i have to wait for this to go down naturally and over time, my problem is that my nose swelling seems to come and go, sometimes looking good then an hour or so later swollen horribly. There is no reason that i can tell why this happens. Is this normal and if o any tips for keeping the swelling away longer?

Normal to Have Intermittent Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+2

What you are experiencing is completely normal. Some of the factors that could contribute to this intermittent swelling are how much cartilage and soft tissue was manipulated during surgery, how thick or thin the skin is, and how your lymphatic system is functioning. Please give it some time and it will settle down over time.

6 Weeks Out from Rhinoplasty Surgery Swelling Noted

+2

This is quite normal following rhinoplasty surgery, especially for someone who is 6 weeks out from surgery. Swelling like this occurs because the usual lymphatic drainage of the nose has been disrupted from surgery. It will take months for this to re-establish itself so that the nose does not swell up like it is doing now. A low salt diet and keeping your body temperature normal are two good suggestions to help minimize the fluctuations. Happy healing. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

Rhinoplasty swelling can take a long time to settle. While the majority of the swelling will go down within a few months, it may take a year or longer for it to completely resolve.

Rhinoplasty before and after

+1

Dear thanksfortheanswers,

• The drainage of the swelling (lymphatic system) is re-adjusting right now
  • You may notice that if you have a salty meal, it may be more swollen because you retain water
  • You should visit your surgeon if you have any concerns, it is our job to know more about this than you

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD