Post-op Rhinoplasty - Swelling or Cartilage?

Had septo-rhinoplasty done one month ago. I had a large bridge hump and droop tip. I am very happy with the results, as the tip was reduced, and the bridge is nice and straight, however, from profile view, right where the nasal bone ends and the cartilage begins, my nose raises up slightly, giving it a slight hump look. My tip is still very swollen, and when I press on the hump it feels hard, but I can see it squash down to flat. Is this cartilage my surgeon missed, or is it just swelling?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Swelling may persist for up to a year after rhinoplasty. It is advisable not to push too hard on your nose in order to see if any bumps disappear with pressure. You should ask your surgeon for his or her opinion during your next follow up visit.

+1

Hard to say without pics, but could be swelling- give it more time, and confer with your surgeon.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post-op rhinoplasty swelling. Cartilage or swelling?

+1

Swelling at the bridge of the nose after rhinoplasty could go away with time.

It is best to be patient and this could resolve.

If it is cartiage, it would not go away, but should be easy to correct.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Too early to tell.

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty surgery can take up to a year to resolve.  You are so early post-operatively it most probably is swelling.   After the bony cartilaginous sekeleton is reduced, the skin envelope has to retract.  You are most likely looking at the area of stretched skin over the hump that you had.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Swelling vs. Cartilage Causing Post Rhinoplasty Fullness

+1

I have no idea! It is best to talk to your physician who did the surgery. Follow his/her instructions and stop pressing on your nose.

One Month After Rhinoplasty with Bump at Bony-Cartilaginous Dorsal Junction

+1

Hi,

Best to discuss this with your surgeon before you press something out of place.  Most likely it is swelling, but sometimes rhinoplasty surgeons place grafts in this area.  Share your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

1 month after Rhinoplasty Surgery is a bit soon to judge whether the hump on your nose is swelling or cartilage.

+1

The best source of information regarding your nasal bridge will be your surgeon. If there is a persistent irregularity of your nasal bridge, this may be improved with an Injectable Filler treatment. I can't know if this would be appropriate for you without seeing your photos.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon