Does Swelling Usually Increase After the Nose Splint is Removed?

Hi, I have just had my splint removed after a revisional rhinoplasty. I was very happy with the definition in my nose this time. It is two days later and that seems to have gone and I am not as happy with how it looks now.

Could it be that the swelling has increased after the splint was removed and will it go back to the way it looked at first? Thanks.

Swelling after cast removal

+2

Rhinoplasty surgeons place tape and an external splint to preserve the operative result, decrease swelling, and stabilize the nasal framework during the early healing phase.

Once the splint/tape are removed, it is very common for the nasal tip to swell because the compressive forces have been removed. This transient increase in swelling usually improves in the week following the spint removal, but the nose usuallyr remains "puffy" for several months.

Revision rhinoplasty patients typically have more swelling that is also prolonged when compared to primary rhinoplasty patients.

There are several things that can be done to improve the swelling in the early post-operative period. Elevation of the head (higher than the heart) when sleeping can decrease the amount of swelling.

If the nose is significantly swollen after the cast removal, it can be re-taped for an additional week or nightly taping with a compressive tape can help.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose swelling after splint removed

+1

Typically, the nose will swell more once the splint has been removed.  Surgeon can combat this phenomenon by a variety of post procedure maneuvers to decrease swelling including nasal taping, low sodium diet, avoidance of sun, etc.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling does increase after splint is removed.

+1

Yes. Once the splint is removed from the nose, the swelling does tend to increase since it is no longer being compressed downward while the cast is on. It will go back to the way it first looked when the splint was removed but this will take some time. The majority of the swelling in the bridge usually subsides in the first three to six months after the surgery.

Yes it does, always

+1

After the splint is removed the nose always swells and if will take months for the swelling to resolve. This is especially true for the tip which can take a year to return to normal.

Nasal Swelling After Nose Splint Removal Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Jacinta,

When the tape and splint are first removed after having been on the nose for 5 to7 days after rhinoplasty, the taped area is pressed down. The majority of the swelling at this point is above and below the splint, in the tip and on the upper bridge of the nose.

A few hours after splint removal, the swelling evens out. It may be more swollen for a few days and then eventually return to where it was when you were happy right after splint removal.

Good luck and enjoy your new nose.

DR. P

Michael A. Persky, MD