Rhinoplasty Results Final After Removing Splint?

I had a Rhinoplasty almost 4 weeks ago. The bruising subsided by the time I had my splint off 6 days later and I was actually quite happy with the results. When the splint came off; my nose appeared to be defined and upturned. The swelling was extreme after I took the fibre glass tape off. Now, when I look at the tip of my nose in profile, it seems swollen like there is a small hump on the tip of my nose. Is the immediate post-splint nose indicative of final results? Thank you.

Final Rhinoplasty Results Take Time

+3

The final results from a rhinoplasty take time to become apparent. The nose undergoes significant changes in the first 2 to 12 weeks following rhinoplasty. The swelling gradually dissipates over the first several months and thus the appearance of the nose changes gradually.

* When the cast is removed after one week, the nose will look swollen.

* Usually by the end of the second week, the swelling and bruising have subsided enough that the casual observer will not readily notice that the nose has been operated on.

* To the patient, the nose will look swollen or "puffy" for several months.

* By about 3-4 months, the majority of the swelling will be gone but will look larger in photographs.

* It can take as long as a year for the final shape to become apparent

If you have any questions as to whether your nose is healing at the appropriate rate, schedule a follow-up appointment with your surgeon.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative Nasal Swelling

+1

Your experience is typical. The swelling is minimized right after surgery by the tape and cast. After the dressing is removed, the fullness will increase. The appearance at the time of splint removal does give you insight  to the final result.

All noses are like that.

+1

It will take 6-12 months for the nose to go its final shape. Now it is swollen so don't worry--that is the way it should be.