Rhinoplasty Swelling 6 Months Post Op

I had a septo-rhinoplasty to fix deviated septum and bump on nose. I am happy with the change, however, I can feel firm yet soft swelling still on the bridge, mostly on the sides. From profile, lower down the nose it still looks like i have a hump, but again, it is a soft firm feeling, and my tip is still crooked, but my septum is completely straight. Will this swelling eventually diminish completely. I know that my nose will look great, but i am worried of permanent fullness/scar tissue.

Healing and resolution of post-operative Rhinoplasty swelling and edema make take up to 12-18 mo

+1

Healing and resolution of post-operative swelling and edema make take up to 12-18 months following septorhinoplasty surgery.  At 6 months, you generally have a good idea of what the final outcome will be; however, further improvement in the nasal contour and any soft tissue swelling will continue to occur for the next 6-12 months. 

The “soft” feeling of the swelling on the bridge of your nose suggests that this is, in fact, related to post-operative soft tissue swelling rather than an ongoing bony deformity.  This will likely improve on its own. 

Occasionally, when scar tissue matures, injections of Triancinalone are used post-operatively to speed up the resolution of this swelling.  Keep in mind, there is some risk to any injection to try to improve the swelling and edema.  However, you can participate in reducing the swelling yourself by using compressive tape (paper or cloth tape) to effectively “push out” any remaining edema or swelling from the area.  Often, patients are instructed to apply compressive tape at night time to accomplish this goal, so that they can carry on with their normal activities during the day. 

Right around 6 months post-operatively is a time when I like to see patients again, to monitor their post-operative healing, in case any further intervention should be required as described above.  So, if you have not already done so, I recommend that you plan to meet with your surgeon for a 6-month post-operative evaluation.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

Sometimes it can take up to a year or longer for all the swelling to resolve and the scar tissue to completely soften up.

David E. Kim, MD

Swelling after nose job...

+1

6 months post op is too soon to evaluate results. The nose, more than any other facial structure holds swelling longest.

Crookedness does not equal swelling however, and there's a possibility that what you see at 6 months will remain at twelve. The best thing to do would be to check with your surgeon to evaluate your progress. In the meantime you can also do some simple massage techniques to help speed healing...try light feathering strokes from the tip of the nose toward the cheeks, encouraging lymphatic drainage.

Best of luck to you in your recovery!

Marshall T. Partington, MD, FACS

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

As you can probably tell from reading this forum, and likely from your preoperative discussions with your Surgeon, swelling after Rhinoplasty can take a year and even longer to settle down.  If you are happy with your appearance now, give your nose more time to settle down.  Your Surgeon will be the best source of evaluation and reassurance regarding your progress.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon