Rhinoplasty Swelling Flare-ups at 1 Year Post-op?

I'm a 26 year-old male, 1 year post-op from a primary open Rhino (tip and bridge work). All through my recovery my tip has gotten swollen and irritated when i'm: hot, stressed, exercise etc. I STILL get this swelling response basically daily. When it happens I get a throbby pressure in my nose and the tip of my nose literally bulbs outward and gets bigger and rounder. It seriously looks as if the whole bottom half of my nose is being pushed outward. I'm sick of this now. Is something wrong??

Swelling of the distal nose after a rhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon to have some degree of swelling to the tip of the nose for the first 12 months after surgery.  Some individuals are more prone the this condition including those with thicker nasal skin.  Gentle massage may be of some benefit.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty

+1

Most say that the swelling after a rhinoplasty takes one year to resolve.  But, remember that it is not swollen for 364 days and then resolves the next day.  It is a gradual and slow process that takes about a year, especially in the tip and supratip.  As long as there are not signs of infection, possibly of some permanent sutures, then I would continue to wait it out.  If you can simulate the effect and see your doctor soon after, he might be able to provide further insight. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling of the tip one year after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear RDkid

• To best communicate this problem with your surgeon, 
  • consider taking a video of your nose in good lighting when
  1. it is not swollen
  2. and when it is swollen
  • It is probably best to have someone else hold the camera.

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

By the nature of the swelling after exercise, the healing process following your Rhinoplasty may not be complete.  It sounds like the lymphatic vessels still can not remove the additional blood delivered, to the nasal tissues, with exercise.  This should resolve in another few months but you may want to ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for specific advice.  

1 Year after Rhinoplasty and Episodic Swelling after Exercise

+1

Episodic swelling following exercise at 1 year likely represents the last phase of wound healing.  Yes, this can be frustrating, but surgery will not help this.  I would give this another 6 months.  Ask your plastic surgeon for additional advice.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Thanks for the question. The inquiry can be better answered if you post pre op picture along with picture of nose taken when its blubs out after exercise or otherwise. No onion will be worth without this information. Better to discuss this your PS. Good luck

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling at 1 year post op.

+1

This does happen uncommonly especially in thick skinned patients.  See your surgeon or an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.