I Had Rhinoplasty Surgery About 5 Weeks Ago and I Discovered Lump in my Nose is This Bad?

The lump is a tiny bead sized lump, that I.can gently move with my finger, its not painful, or noticeable, just a bit uncomfortable if I rub against it. And its located at the very top of my nose, close to my left eye. is this something I should be worried about?

Lump After Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

It hard to know exactly because I have no idea what was done. It is not abnormal that early on to have a bump or suture that can be noticeable where the skin is thin. If you have a cartilage graft or some other graft in that area it may be palpable at this time. Most likely it is not a big deal but go see your surgeon to satisfy your concerns.

Lump after rhinoplasty

+1

If there is a mobile "something" in your nose after rhinoplasty it could represent some spicules of tissue that was not removed during surgery.

Post Rhinoplasty Lump

+1

It is difficult to say without feeling the lump myself. It could possibly be scar tissue, which is normal at this point in time of 5 weeks out. If you are concerned, discuss this with your surgeon to have it examined.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

+1

Swelling can persist for up to a year or more, and I would follow with your surgeon for an exam at this stage to address your concerns.  Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, operative time, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed etc.

Too Soon to be Worried

+1

After a primary rhinoplasty, you need to wait a year before evaluating the result.  Your experience is very common, and should have been explained to you before surgery.  As the initial swelling / edema from surgery starts to resolve, the skin of the nose becomes thinner.  You will then begin to see things below the surface that were hidden by the swelling.  These will appear as lumps or bumps, and you will be immediately concerned that these are bits of cartilage or bone left in the wrong location.  While this is possible, it is more probable that these lumps represent small clots of blood that have organized.  Old clots will go away, but it takes much longer than for edema resolution (on the order of 6 to 12 months).  You need to know this, because it would be an error to go back in early and remove the bump. (The bump would likely get elevated with the skin during the revision rhinoplasty, and the external mass would be hidden by shaving down the framework of the nose.  When the clot eventually resolves, you would end up with a dent.)  Don't worry yet, try to ignore your nose, and evaluate it at a year.
Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Post operative

+1

Address your concern with your surgeon at your next follow up visit.  As I am sure your surgeon discussed with you, a rhinoplasty result can take up to one year to final result... Don't panic. 

Terrence Higgins, MD