Will I Be Okay During Rhinoplasty if I Get Panic Attacks?

I have a Rhinoplasty surgery coming up but I'm very nervous about the anesthesia and the tube in my throat. I have one small problem--when I get nervous, I get short breaths and that scares me. Will I be okay during the procedure?

No panic attacks while under general anesthesia during rhinoplasty

+2

A panic attack will not occur during the actual surgery itself since you will be under a general anesthesia during the rhinoplasty procedure. It may be a good idea to have some Valium the night before your procedure so you will not be too nervous going into the procedure itself. Anesthesia is very safe with a qualified, board-certified physician anesthesiologist.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Anxiety and surgery

+1

Dear Lala,

As you see from other surgeons, it is relatively common to have anxiety with surgery, and panic attacks are just a very extreme form of anxiety. If you discuss these issues with your surgeon and anesthesiologist, they can help relieve you fears by letting you know exactly what is going to happen. Medications can also help greatly- right after you get your IV, you can receive some strong anxiolysis (Versed), and I'd suggest using Valium after surgery until you are feeling more calm. Discuss these options with your doctors. (Dupont: Better living through chemistry.)

Dr.B

Web reference: http://www.drbogdan.com

Panic attacks and Rhinoplasty

+1

Your are having GENERAL anesthesia. During your surgery the anesthesiologist will monitor your pulse, blood pressure and breathing.

You will not feel the surgery nor have any memories of it. So you have nothing to worry about. If you want to be more calm the night before, ask your surgeon for a sedative.

Remember - anesthesia is the safest medical branch. Its malpractice insurance rates have been coming down yearly as opposed to OB-GYN and neurosurgery.

Hope this answered your question.

You should make sure you do this asleep.

+1

Our surgical center, like other offices, does this surgery with the patient totally asleep. The patient is talking to me and the next thing they know is that they are in the recovery room. No pain, no awareness of anything except talking to me. Make sure you go to such a facility and an experienced rhinoplasty doctor and you will do fine.

Rhinoplasty and Panic Attacks

+1

You will be fine. You are getting general anesthesia and will not have any pain, anxiety or memory of the event.

To ensure you do not get a panic attack on the morning of surgery, you should ask your physician for some xanax. I routinely have my rhinoplasty and other facial plastic surgery patients take xanax 0.5mg on empty stomach on the morning of surgery. It reduces or eliminates the anxiety, the patient feels relaxed and the blood pressure stays low. That helps me during surgery because the bleeding is reduced and there is less bruising afterwards.

Regards

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Discuss Your Concern With Both Your Surgeon and The Anesthesiologist

+1

Panic attacks are a common problem. Many patients with panic attacks successfully undergo rhinoplasty without any problems.

However, you should discuss your concerns with both your surgeon and the anesthesiologist several weeks before surgery to make sure that you are both physically and emotionally ready for surgery.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplasty-usa.com/html/meet-dr-cochran.html

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon