Would having rhinoplasty surgery affect my running career, and would it be helpful for me?

I am 18 years old, I am not happy with the way my nose looks. Is there any after affects that would ruin my running career. I'm planning to get a scholarship for track so to me it's more important than how I look. My nose is not in the best shape, I have a large nose that is crooked and has a hump in it.

+1

If you have any issues with your breathing, a rhinoplasty can help with your running career if there is also functional work performed. Keep in mind that you will need to refrain from any strenuous exercise for 4-5 weeks after surgery. Not doing so can increase swelling and delay your healing time. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to evaluate your nose in person and provide you with advice. Computer imaging software may be used during a consultation, which will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Rhinoplasty showed not affect your running career

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure should not affect your running career. The rhinoplasty procedure would involve shaving down the large dorsal hump, and osteotomies will straighten the nasal bones. Also important to make sure there is not a deviated septum which is usually associated with a broken and twisted nose. This should be repaired as well, if present.

Dr. Kimberly Henry

+1

Hello, thank you for your question! Based on what you've described, I think you will have great results and it should not affect your running career. There is a small risk for breathing problems, but it is unlikely; and if you do not having any breathing problems to start with, you are dealing with a very small risk.

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Will rhinoplasty affect a career in running?

+1

If you have a crooked nose, more than likely your septum is deviated as well. If that's the case, a septorhinoplasty could have a beneficial effect on your running career since you'd be able to breathe better. As you probably already know, proper breathing during strenuous exercise should be "in through the nose and out through the mouth." As long as you have the surgery done by someone who is also adept at nasal airway surgery and has an in-depth knowledge of it, you should do quite well. Best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

+1

If you do not have any breathing problems and only cosmetic issues and running is more important, do not have a rhinoplasty. Although I have not had a patient with breathing problems after rhinoplasty, there is a small but real risk of breathing problems.