How Long Should I Wait Before I Get Another Rhinoplasty?

Its been 1 year since my second rhinoplasty and i got the surgery in peru and im having complications and im not pleased with the way my nose looks but my surgeon is really sick in the hospital and is unable to take care of me so i want to know if i can see a different surgeon and what is the best amount of time to wait for a second rhinoplasty?

Time To Wait Before Another Rhinoplasty

+2
In general, one must wait at least a year after the first rhinoplasty for revisional surgery to allow for normal wound healing. It is optimal to have your secondary surgery performed by a rhinoplasty expert, one who has Experience, Expertise, and has delivered Exceptional results in rhinoplasty. This is the most complicated, difficult operation in cosmetic surgery.

Appropriate timing for revision rhinoplasty

+1

One year is generally adequate time before a revision rhinoplasty. It would be best if you can get your surgical records including operating report from the first surgery to help the revision surgeon understand the techniques utlized by the first surgeon. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Wait one year for another rhinoplasty

+1

It is acceptable to undergo a revision rhinoplasty one year after your surgery. This is the time it takes for full healing and allows your surgeon to assess how best to revise your nose.    

Timing of secondary rhinoplasty

+1

It would be nice to have the operative report from Peru to review.  You made reference to complications but more detailed information would be preferable.  Typically one year is adequate to assess the nose and suggest a plan for a secondary rhinoplasty.

Wishing you the best,

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Proper timing for revision rhinoplasty

+1

One year is an adequate time to wait before undergoing revision rhinoplasty.  More important question is how to proceed.  As you probably have learned by now revision rhinoplasty is one of the more difficult procedures for a surgeon to master. The goals is to create a beautiful nose with nice proportions that fits that particular face. In my practice we offer computer imaging to our prospective rhinoplasty patients, so that the goals and aspirations of the patients can be communicated. Of course not all surgeons that can created changes on the computer can produce those changes in the operating room. Pick you rhinoplasty surgeon carefully.

You might find it insightful to read my article "The Art of Sculpting the Nose" which can be found on my web site under "publications".

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Wait one full year before having a revision rhinoplasty.

+1

You need to wait one full year before having a revision rhinoplasty.  This is the amount of time necessary for the scar tissue to become soft and malleable again so that any changes made during surgery will give a predictable result.

It sounds like you have waited long enough, so now you just have to decide who to see.  I know it is tempting to try to save money by traveling out of the country to have surgery performed, but if you have a complication which requires immediate attention after returning home (like an infection) then what do you do.  You do not need to see the same surgeon, but be aware that each successive revision rhinoplasty becomes harder and harder to perform and get right.  You really want to make sure you are confident in your surgeon's expertise this time.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

You have waited long enough (1 year) to have a revision rhinoplasty. There is nothing wrong with seeing a different surgeon; I do a lot of revision surgery on patients who had their rhnoplasties before coming to my office.

Wait before I get another rhinoplasty

+1

I'm confused by your posting? Did you want the same surgeon in Peru or "your" surgeon in the USA (who is sick) to revise your rhinoplasty? I guess the easy answer is to see a boarded plastic surgeon in person to examine you and than determine the exact issues and plan the second rhinoplasty as per the issues. Most likely you will have to wait a year from the date of the first rhinoplasty, but there are ALWAYS exceptions in doing within the first 6 months postop. From MIAMI Dr. B

One year

+1

I agree with the other opinion -- get an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon to do a re do. Don't get a beginner.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

One year is enough time for a revision rhinoplasty.

+1

One year is long enough to have a revision rhinoplasty. Make sure you see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.