What's the Chance of Infection or Extrusion with Gore-Tex Nasal Implants?

I have just gotten rhinoplasty and since found out my surgeon used gore tex. I am stressed out because I understand that there are complication associated with its use. What is the percentage chance I will get an infection or have extrusion? I am asian and had the tip of my nose built up.

EPTFE (Gore-Tex) nasal implants have a long track record of safety.

+1

The versatility and safety of Gore Tex nasal implants has been well described. The likelihood of extrusion is less than 5%. If you're pleased by the appearance of your nose, enjoy your new look. I hope this helps you.

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection or Extrusion of Gore-Tex Nasal Implant

+1

Gore-Tex is frequently used to augment the nasal profile. While infection and extrusion are possible, these complications are rare. This is the reason I prefer using the patient's own tissue whenever possible. You probably will do fine - if there is any increased swelling or pain at any time in the future contact your surgeon.

Nasal implants

+1

There are various materials used to build up flat noses and Gore-Tex has a very good track record. Mostnsurgeons do not use it in the tip. There is no perfect nasal implant. If the cosmetic result is satisfactory do not worry unless you have symptoms of increasing swelling or pain. When having any surgey or dental work in the future, you should consult with your surgeon or dentist as to whether or not you should be on prophylactic antibiotics.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gore-Tex (PTFE) Nasal Implants

+1

Regarding: " I have just gotten rhinoplasty and since found out my surgeon used gore tex. I am stressed out because I understand that there are complication associated with its use. What is the percentage chance I will get an infection or have extrusion? I am asian and had the tip of my nose built up."

Gore Tex is one of the most commonly used implants in the world. It has been used in Vascular, Abdominal, Chest Surgery on millions of patients. It is commonly used in nose surgery when there is not enough local cartilage to act as a graft.

All man-made implants can get infected and extruded. Porous implants, which allow in-growth of blood vessels, are less likely to become infected than solid implants (silicone for example). Gore Tex is more porous than Silicone implants but much less so than POREX implants. Nonetheless, I would not worry about it for now. Such implants do a lot better in Asian noses that Western European Caucasian noses.

Dr. Aldea

Goretex or PTFE implant in nose

+1

Goretex (PTFE) is one of the better tolerated biomaterials or implants. It is commonly used in cardiovascular surgery as well as in general surgery. As long as there is no sign of infection, I would not worry, if it should get infected it may be worth a course of antibiotics, if this should not satisfactorily treat the problem, removal may be the best treatment. In the meantime, if you are satisfied with the appearance of the nose, don't waste time and energy worrying about it.