Is a Rhinoplasty Suitable for Me?

I am of Pakistani origin and I have quite a large nose. I am considered attractive sometimes. I feel my large nose looks a little masculine. I have read a lot of rhinoplasty reviews. It leaves me a little scared to follow through with a procedure that could have a negative effect including not being happy with result, nose collapsing etc. What are the minimilistic and safest procedures in order to change the shape. If for example you have the tip changed will the nose still collapse?

Working with your surgeon will yield the best results.

+2

I would encourage you to seek out a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon so that you can have your nose thoroughly evaluated.  Rhinoplasty reviews do not address your particular situation.  Meeting with a surgeon will allow you to chat about your fears, concerns, and what you'd like your nose to look like.  Based on this discussion, you and your surgeon can work towards finding a mutually acceptable goal for your nose.

As with all surgeries, there are risks and benefits.  Most patients are delighted with their rhinoplasty results - but this is entirely based on having reasonable expectations prior to having the surgery.  If you have a larger nose, you can never have a tiny nose; but you can certainly have changes made to your nose that make you feel better about yourself and don't compromise your breathing.  

Understanding the risks, having a reasonable and mutually agreed upon goal, and trusting your surgeon to take care of you is what it's all about.  I've had patients who have had some adverse events following surgical procedures.  They were informed of the possibility of these things before we embarked on surgery together and we subsequently worked together to make sure they were taken care of and happy with the final result.

Hope this clarifies things a little bit for you.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is an overall very successful procedure.  The key is to find a plastic surgeon that is an expert in rhinoplasty, especially "ethnic rhinoplasty" in your case, and someone you feel comfortable and trusting of.  With these key ingredients you can usually enjoy a great outcome...RAS

Is a Rhinoplasty Suitable for Me?

+1

Your concerns about the result of rhinoplasty is little over blown. For every rhinoplasty problem, there are tens of satisfied patients who do not seek any advice on these pages but you  must be careful who is going to operate on you. There are doctors who either not adequately trained to do this operation or simply don't get a good result. I am not sure what your chances are of getting a good result is in UK now, but several years ago it was poor. See as many ethnic rhinoplasty pictures as possible before choosing the surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

If you are bothered by the appearance of your nose,  you certainly can go for a consulation with a surgeon to be evaluated. If their a specific things that you are bothered by, and they can be improved, then it is perfectly reasonable to undergo rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty for facial appearance.

+1

The incidence of complications with rhinoplasty are uncommon. If you see an expert rhinoplasty surgeon, you should have no problem and an improved look.

Worried about Rhinoplasty result.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for well over 20 years and you may not be a suitable candidate for Rhinoplasty.  Let me explain.  There are numerous scientific papers written that describe young men with large noses that (the patient) identify their large noses with their masculinity.  Even though aesthetically, the nose can be more attractive when the hump is reduced...these young men are very unhappy after their Rhinoplasty and despite their more attractive nose long for their original larger nose.  You sound like you may fit into this category, IMHO and if so...are not a good candidate for a Rhinoplasty. 

Rhinoplasty will give you a smaller, more attractive nose but once performed there's no turning back to recapture your old nose, so be 100% certain that you want and will be happy with a smaller nose.  If this means speaking with a psychologist before having a Rhinoplasty, then this is well worth the time and effort.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-Your-Number-The-Palmer-Code/53723954087

Minimal rhinoplasty

+1

Your surgeon can only work with what you bring him. He must be realistic about what you can and want to achieve. A well trained surgeon will not run this risk but, will inform you of the best obtainable results with out undue risk. Remember, rhinoplasty is the most difficult cosmetic operation

Fear Of Nasal Collapse Is Unlikely With Contemporary Rhinoplasty Surgery Techniques

+1

Your trepidation towards a face changing rhinoplasty is understandable. Many patients have similar fears when it involves a structural change to such a prominent and face-identifying feature. But your concerns about nasal collapse with today's rhinoplasty techniques should be of low concern. If an open rhinoplasty is done by an experienced and board-certified plastic surgeon, they will know and use support techniques such as columellar struts and spreader grafts that will avoid that problem. The risk of irregularities and asymmetries in rhinoplasty exist for every patient but your thicker Pakistani skin may make that risk less than it is for others. With thicker skin the biggest issue is the long time that it takes for all swelling to subside and the final result to be appreciated. It is important that you have a pre-surgical consultation in which realistic computer imaging is done so you may have an insight as to whether rhinoplasty surgery is for you.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com/

Good rhinoplasty surgeons leave little room for nasal collapse

+1

Hi there,

As a physician of Indian origin with a genetically large nose, I myself underwent rhinoplasty to reduce the size of my nasal dorsum and to improve the definition and elevation of my nasal tip.  As someone who performs rhinoplasty, it was an excellent experience for me to be a rhinoplasty patient.  From these experiences, I sympathize greatly with your concerns.

In general, if you have the typical "large indian/pakistani nose," the surgery you would need is a reduction rhinoplasty to reduce the height of your nasal dorsum and probably narrow your nose a bit.  Also, probably improved tip definintion and rotation would help you.  These procedures are the most commonly performed steps in cosmetic rhinoplasty, and are generally very safe manoevers with little risk of nasal collapse.  You are not describing any major asymmetries or breathing problems that might require septoplasty.  These deeper surgeries can lead to collapse of the nose.

Today, most rhinoplasty surgerons have evolved into becoming quite defensive about protecting the nose from collapse.  And so a columellar strut (internal tip support) is typically performed to not only improve the tip definition and rotation but also to protect the tip from collapse.  Historically, rhinoplasty surgeons occasionally were aggressive about removing tissue from the middle vault or middle third of the nose- this would put patients at risk of midline volume collapse and/or breathing problems from nasal valve collapse.  Again, most rhinoplasty surgeons today support the middle vault with grafting and also conservative resection.

I hope this is not too detailed of answer for you, but the bottom line is that it sounds like you probably need a full-blown surgical rhinoplasty, and less invasive options are not going to be the right treatment for you.  This message is an attempt to allay your concerns about the safety of modern rhinoplasty with your nasal issues which seem fairly run-of-the-mill.  Go get some consultations with reputable local surgeons and from personal as well as professional experience, I think you are going to love your results!

Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon