Steroid Shot for Swelling 2 Years After Rhinoplasty?

Two years after Rhinoplasty, I am still getting swelling. Why is this, and is it possible that I still have more healing time to go? Will steroid shots help at this point? If revision is the only way, what can I expect cost wise for a simple refining of the tip? I am Italian and have thicker skin; could this be the issue? If so, what can I do about the skin and the soft tissue swelling I'm seeing?

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Thick-skinned individuals may experience prolonged swelling after rhinoplasty. However, 2 years is a long time. I suggest seeing an experienced surgeon to have a trial of steroid injections; obviously this is the easiest approach. If not successful, consider revision surgery.

Nose Swelling 2 years after rhinoplasty

+1

I have seen a couple of patients in consultation for fluctuating nasal tip swelling after rhinoplasty. All of them had multiple rhinoplasty procedures before. Therefore, I believe that the lymphatic and/or blood flow, which is always somewhat changed after surgery, is responsible for these rare reactions. Steroids injections were of temporary benefit only; it unfortunately did not solve the problem. I also don't think that the surgeon is to blame; it is rather an unusual issue.

Your tip swelling sounds to be constant and only showed up more than a year after surgery... I am not sure how to interpret this.

I would agree with your surgeon that revision rhinoplasty should not be considered with enthusiasm. Although it MAY work, there is absolutely no guaranty and it may make it worse.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon