Rhinoplasty Steroid Injection Placement?

when getting a rhinoplasty steroid injection in the nose does the injection have to be directly into the area that is most inflamed to work?, because i think my doctor might have poked the needle a little away from where post of the swelling on the sidewall of my nose persists. does it matter?

Corticosteroid Injections After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Johnny,

Injection of corticosteroid (early after surgery) will help with the swelling.

As for the way it was done, single or multiple needle entries could be adopted depending on the area targeted. Nonetheless, injections may not be at the exact entry point.

I encourage you to be a little patient and observe the results. I believe keeping a good communication with your surgeon is helpful as it keeps him/her in the loop of the constant progress you are making.

Thank you for your question and the best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Nasal Steroids

+1

Nasal steroids can have a profound effect on healing tissue.  If you trusted your surgeon to perform rhinoplasty surgery for you, good communication with this physician is still important during your post-operative care.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injection enrty vs. placement

+1

No, it should not matter. Sometimes we use an entry point which is at a small distance from where the injection is placed in order to achieve more precise placement of the medication. I would recommend waiting for the medication to take effect.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Post Rhinoplasty Steroid Injection

+1

It is not uncommon to have a steroid injected into the nose following a rhinoplasty.  This is typically done to reduce swelling on the outside of the nose in  particular the tip.  A single injection site may be used or multiple small sites may be used.  Typically the steroid is deposited where you want the effect however to avoid a second injection site and less pain they may have done it through a single injection site.  It is. It uncommon to repeat the steroid depending on the type of reponse you and the surgeon are seeing.

Christopher Tolan, MD
Saint Paul Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Where the needle entered the skin may not be where the steroid was injected.  Wait 4 to 6 weeks and see the effect.  If it doesn't give the desired result, your doctor may treat it further.

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Post op Steroids

+1

Steriod injections after rhinoplasty are very common and used to decrease swelling and minimize scar tissue.  The injection is generally right into the area of swelling. You may just need another injection or two.  This is common.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon