Sunken Nose Just Swelling After Rhinoplasty

I got the splint off after open Rhinoplasty about a week ago and my nose was straight with a some swelling on the tip and around the bridge. I have noticed that today, the center of my nose appears a little sunken down--like a dip between the hard bone between my eyes and the swelling of the tip. Is it likely that there is swelling on the bone that will eventually go down and it will be straight again?

Sunken Nose

+1

It is impossible to evaluate your nose and determine the final result one week after surgery. Healing and resolution of the swelling never occurs evenly and symmetrically. Patience is not only a virtue, but a necessity. Relax and enjoy the continued improvement of your new nose.

Rhinoplasty Recovery: Swelling on Bridge Most Likely is Transient

+1

Following a hump removal during rhinoplasty, it is very common for there to be excessive swelling over the central portion of the nasal bridge overlying the area where the boney hump was removed. This can give the lower portion of the bridge a sunken in appearance.

If the bone was adequately reduced, that bump should disappear as the swelling subsides over the first several months. If the hump persists beyond the first several months, it may indicate that the hump was not entirely reduced during the surgery.

Be patient, the majority of times, the swelling is transient and the profile will improve with time. In the meantime, visit with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon