Can Filing Fix a Hump on Nose Bridge?

Hi, I'm 21 years old, male and considering Rhinoplasty. I am unhappy with the appearance of my nose, but only really when I smile (a big toothy grin particularly). I would look to correct a small hump (Is this a "dorsal hump"?) on the bridge of my nose. It's not bad and my nose isn't overly wide, so could this be done by just filing or rasping it down?

I've read a lot about this on the Internet but I never know what to believe! My other concern is that my nose seems to widen when I smile ("Pic.4" shows the areas on the side I don't like). Why is this? Would I need work on the tip as well to stop this? ne of my main issues, however, is recovery time because as a singer, management doesn't want a huge recovery time! Thanks, from a confused guy!

Correcting a small dorsal bump

Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you could be a good candidate for a minor corrective approach addressing your concern.
However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Small dorsal hump

There are cases where simple filing of the bridge to reduce a dorsal hump can give the result you want.  However, in most cases, when you reduce the hump, the nose looks wide and then the bones need to be broken as well.  I would suggest you go ona few consults with surgeons in your area known for their rhinoplasty work.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Filing or rasping a nasal hump

Thank you for your question and photograph.  A small nasal home for dorsal hop can certainly be treated by rasping or filing in many cases.  The concern is that lowering the nasal dorsum can make the nose appear wider, which is a concern of yours.  In addition if too much bone is rasped it can create an open roof deformity where both nasal bones are visible through the skin.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in rhinoplasty surgery, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Sometimes filing is not enough to fix a hump

According to the pictures presented, most of the bump on the nose is cartilage, which can be shaved down. It is not bone. The tip droop when you smile is related to the ligament that holds the tip ligament that is attached to the smile muscle. This is typically released at the time of the surgery so that the nose stays straight on animation and smiling. Once the hump is removed, both cartilage and bone, the sidewalls most likely will need to be narrowed.

Filing Nasal Hump

A surgeon can file a nasal hump, but I don't think that is appropriate as an isolated procedure for you. You have a broad hump; filing it will make your bridge even wider. This can be corrected by moving the nasal bones closer together. Don't try to plan the operation by yourself. Talk to a physician with experience.

Complete rhinoplasty for overall improvement

Ricardo, your nose is probably too wide at the level of the boney pyramid for simple rasping to work well. You would be much better served to consider conservative boney and cartilaginous hump reduction and osteotomies (controlled chisel cuts) to effect narrowing along with modest tip refinement and perhaps some rotation. The width of the base can be narrowed if the base is too wide and this may reduce the widening when you smile a bit. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and have a complete consultation along with computer imaging.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Dorsal Hump Reduction

It is hard to assess how big your dorsal hump is but I would not overly concern yourself on how the hump is taken care of. What you should care about is that it is done right and proper by the best plastic surgeon that you can find for the job.

Whether it is filed down or rasped or an osteotome is used makes no difference on your outcome, so dont concern yourself with this as they are simply different techniques to reach the same outcome.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Filing or rasping a nasal hump or bump

In the case of a minor reduction (less than 3mm or 1/8 inch) rasping of the nasal dorsum can reduce the hump or minor bumps. From the limited view of your nose it appears that you also have a wide hump which filing/rasping will not help.

Rhinoplasty

A small dorsal hump can be treated by just shaving.  However, shaving down a bony ump may cause a flattened appearance which will then need to be infractured to close the "open" roof.

Rhinoplasty and the Nasal Hump

Hi Ricardo,

No wonder you are a "confused" guy, take those eye patches off so that you can see your nose.

A dorsal hump is usually viewed from the side or profile, it is the bump on the mid to upper part of the nose. You appear to have lateral wings likely comprised of cartilage and bone. The cartilage can be shaved down, the bone can be rasped or "filed down".

The $64,000 question is once "the offending party" as one of my Brit patients termed it is removed, will other parts of the nose need to be "blended" to give you a natural dorsal line. That would be best determined by an in person examination.

When we smile, the muscles of facial expression pull laterally giving a "widening" appearance to the nasal base. It does not appear that you will need much narrowing of your base.

Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully after consulting with a few.

Good day, and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon