Can Filing Fix a Hump on Nose Bridge?

Hi, I'm 21 years old, male and considering Rhinoplasty. I am unhappy with the appearance of my nose, but only really when I smile (a big toothy grin particularly). I would look to correct a small hump (Is this a "dorsal hump"?) on the bridge of my nose. It's not bad and my nose isn't overly wide, so could this be done by just filing or rasping it down?

I've read a lot about this on the Internet but I never know what to believe! My other concern is that my nose seems to widen when I smile ("Pic.4" shows the areas on the side I don't like). Why is this? Would I need work on the tip as well to stop this? ne of my main issues, however, is recovery time because as a singer, management doesn't want a huge recovery time! Thanks, from a confused guy!

Filing or rasping a nasal hump

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph.  A small nasal home for dorsal hop can certainly be treated by rasping or filing in many cases.  The concern is that lowering the nasal dorsum can make the nose appear wider, which is a concern of yours.  In addition if too much bone is rasped it can create an open roof deformity where both nasal bones are visible through the skin.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in rhinoplasty surgery, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Sometimes filing is not enough to fix a hump

+1

According to the pictures presented, most of the bump on the nose is cartilage, which can be shaved down. It is not bone. The tip droop when you smile is related to the ligament that holds the tip ligament that is attached to the smile muscle. This is typically released at the time of the surgery so that the nose stays straight on animation and smiling. Once the hump is removed, both cartilage and bone, the sidewalls most likely will need to be narrowed.

Filing Nasal Hump

+1

A surgeon can file a nasal hump, but I don't think that is appropriate as an isolated procedure for you. You have a broad hump; filing it will make your bridge even wider. This can be corrected by moving the nasal bones closer together. Don't try to plan the operation by yourself. Talk to a physician with experience.

Complete rhinoplasty for overall improvement

+1

Ricardo, your nose is probably too wide at the level of the boney pyramid for simple rasping to work well. You would be much better served to consider conservative boney and cartilaginous hump reduction and osteotomies (controlled chisel cuts) to effect narrowing along with modest tip refinement and perhaps some rotation. The width of the base can be narrowed if the base is too wide and this may reduce the widening when you smile a bit. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and have a complete consultation along with computer imaging.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Dorsal Hump Reduction

+1

It is hard to assess how big your dorsal hump is but I would not overly concern yourself on how the hump is taken care of. What you should care about is that it is done right and proper by the best plastic surgeon that you can find for the job.

Whether it is filed down or rasped or an osteotome is used makes no difference on your outcome, so dont concern yourself with this as they are simply different techniques to reach the same outcome.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Filing or rasping a nasal hump or bump

+1

In the case of a minor reduction (less than 3mm or 1/8 inch) rasping of the nasal dorsum can reduce the hump or minor bumps. From the limited view of your nose it appears that you also have a wide hump which filing/rasping will not help.

Rhinoplasty

+1

A small dorsal hump can be treated by just shaving.  However, shaving down a bony ump may cause a flattened appearance which will then need to be infractured to close the "open" roof.

Rhinoplasty and the Nasal Hump

+1

Hi Ricardo,

No wonder you are a "confused" guy, take those eye patches off so that you can see your nose.

A dorsal hump is usually viewed from the side or profile, it is the bump on the mid to upper part of the nose. You appear to have lateral wings likely comprised of cartilage and bone. The cartilage can be shaved down, the bone can be rasped or "filed down".

The $64,000 question is once "the offending party" as one of my Brit patients termed it is removed, will other parts of the nose need to be "blended" to give you a natural dorsal line. That would be best determined by an in person examination.

When we smile, the muscles of facial expression pull laterally giving a "widening" appearance to the nasal base. It does not appear that you will need much narrowing of your base.

Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully after consulting with a few.

Good day, and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Filing may fix a nose bridge hump

+1

Hi Ricardo88,

Can filing fix a hump on nose bridge? - Sometimes.

Just so you would know - a bone can be filed (or actually rasped). Cartilage cannot - it needs to be shaved with a scalpel.

The dorsal hump is USUALLY made up of both bone and cartilage. Depending on the surgeon, we often lower the bony hump with a rasp or burr and then shave the cartilage nous dorsum with a blunt tip scalpel. (Other surgeons cut through the cartilage nous dorsum and reduce the bony hum with a scalpel).

It is rare that we can get away with just shaving the sides of the hump or rasping the bony dorsum without creating a widening of the area. In most cases, the reduction of the hump requires lateral breaking of the nasal bones and moving them centrally to re-narrow the nose.

My advice to you is to see several plastic surgeons and hear what they have to say. That would give you a good idea what is applicable to YOU from someone who actually examined you.

Good Luck.

Radiesse can be used to fill around the nasal hump

+1

Radiesse can be used to fill around the nasal hump. I have used fillers to camoflauge nasal humps. The results are immediate and last about one year. 

Christine Hamori, MD