Can Rhinoplasty Shorten my Nose and Make the Tip Not Stick out So Far? (photo)

I want everything about my nose changed. It's too wide from between my eyes to the tip, it sticks out too far, and it's lumpy! I know bumps can be reduced/removed... but can the tip be shortened? I've seen many before and afters where the nose still looks too long from the profile in my opinion. What would you do to this nose to improve it?

So many options

+3

The answer is Yes! But I wont leave it at that....

There are two main things to think about with your tip (1) Projection and (2) Rotation. Projection is how far it sticks out while rotation is, does it point up or does it point down. When we do "tip work" on a nose, we have to balance these to get a perfect result, which is easier said then done. 

There are many many options for "de-projecting" a tip but one thing you need to consider is the persons overall facial symmetry.  One of the biggest mistakes when people look at a nose is to only focus on the nose, often times a persons nose isn't too long, its that their chin is to short. I am not saying that is the case in you, but just another of the many factors we need to balance. I digress.

So, for someone like yourself, if you are only interested in De-projection, common methods include things like Full-transfixtion incisions, vertical dome division and medial/lateral crural overlay techniques. That is alot of medical talk, but I put them there so you could read up or search them.  

The other question is the width of your nose (especially at the tip and dorsum - between your eyes). Those two things are somewhat more easily corrected by a trained surgeon. It would involve two basic things. One would be cutting the bone so the upper part of the nose can be narrowed. The second would be trimming the tip slightly to narrow it and then using sutures to keep it together. 

Its always difficult looking at pictures but I think I would have a general plan for you based on those two photos. However, ideally you should see a FRCPC or Board Certified surgeon and have them take the full set of professional photo's and sit down and give you options. 

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

The width of the nose can be reduced and the nose can be deprojected with rhinoplasty. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified and experienced rhinoplasty specialist. He or she may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of you, which will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. This also serves as a great communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Can Rhinoplasty Shorten my Nose and Make the Tip Not Stick out So Far?

+1

All of these alterations can be made, and the tip can be deprojected to reduce the length in the profile. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty

+1

Deprojection (shortening the tip length) as well as narrowing the nose are feasible rhinoplasty maneuvers. This will most likely require an open rhinoplasty, with gentle elevation of the soft tissue envelope, allowing direct access to the tip cartilages.

Rhinoplasty is a complex operation, and extensive experience is necessary. Select a surgeon who can show you *multiple* before and after photos of patients with similar nose concerns.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Andy Shah MD

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

De-projection

+1

Yes - your nose can definitely be brough in "closer" to the face

It is essential to habe your treatimg physician diagnose WHY its long

There are many anatomic reasons that can cause this and missing it is the reason you see "afters" where the nose still looks too long

Make sure you see a rhinoplasty specialistw ho has performed hundereds of procedure and look at their before and after photos in the office with them.

Ask to see noses like yours.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

You certainly could have improvement with reducing the dorsal profile but also reducing the overall projection of the  nasal tip.  Good luck.

Rhinoplasty for the over projected nose, etc.

+1

You have over projected nose with a bulbous tip. In addition your nasal bump can be removed and the nasal bones narrow. This should be done in a natural way so as to not overly shorten or overly rotate your nose. Make sure you see a rhinoplasty surgeon who is very experienced does natural looking noses.

Rhinoplasty

+1

There are several options to optimize your nose.Your tip is a bit prominent and certainly could be reduced.Computer imaging would be useful so you can visualized potential results from the various surgical maneuvers.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

You can deproject the nasal tip to improve your profile.  Nasal bone osteotomies can be done to narrow the nose.  See a board certified surgeon who does a lot of rhinoplasties.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD