Can't Have Rhinoplasty with Septoplasty?

I just saw an ENT Dr. to address my constant obstructed breathing. He suggested a Septoplasty (mine is "S" shaped) and also a turbinate reduction. Since I'd be having nose surgery, I asked if he could also do any correction to my slight hump or smoooth out the tip a bit (both are minor but bother me). He said no, because it can actually negate the improved breathing from the septoplasty. He's very experienced, but from my research I haven't found this anywhere. Is this true? Thank you!

Can septoplasty and rhinoplasty be preformed at the same time?

+3

Dear Mike,
It is difficult to render an opinion or even suggest a surgical treatment without physical examination or at least reviewing some of your nasal pictures. However, septoplasty and rhinoplasty are usually performed together to improve the functional as well as aesthetic aspect of a nose. Your surgeon may be comfortable with functional aspect of nasal surgery such as septoplasty and sinus surgery, but uncomfortable with aesthetic rhinoplasty. If you feel you will benefit from rhinoplasty, you may want to consult with a facial plastic surgeon who can improve your septoplasty and rhinoplasty at the  same time. Good luck. Dr. Kevin Sadati

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty can be done together

+2

Although septoplasty and rhinoplasty are completely separate operations, both can be performed together at one time.  This is done very frequently in our practice and we have done this thousands of times.  It is quite acceptable to undergo both procedures under one anesthetic.  Just remember that any functional internal breathing issues can be billed to the patient’s medical insurance while cosmetic rhinoplasty is billed directly to the patient.  Many ENT doctors do not perform cosmetic surgery on the nose and only perform the functional surgery.  

Rhinoplasty with septoplasty

+2

Even without having examined you, I can't tell you that this is not accurate. Any experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will actually strengthen the airway when performing a rhinoplasty. I tell all of my rhinoplasty patients that my goal is for them to breathe the same, or even better, after any nasal procedure. In addition, I harvest septal cartilage with a septoplasty in the majority of my nasal surgeries. Shaving off a 'bump' or lowering the dorsum can certainly have profound effects on the airway, such as pinching of the middle vault and collapse of the internal nasal valves. However, if this occurs, then they can be reinforced. Just be aware that for what you desire, you should probably seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with Septoplasty

+2

Functional surgery is quite commonly done with cosmetic rhinoplasty. If one is an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, one should be comfortable with the functional and the cosmetic correction of the nose. Performing a septal reconstruction, preservation of the internal nasal valve with turbinate management along with cosmetic reconstruction of the nose is an essential part of the rhinoplasty surgeon. This is something that is done on a frequent basis as many patients will have functional problems associated with their cosmetic deformity. This is often seen in secondary nasal deformities as well.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Septoplasty along with Rhinoplasty Surgery

+2

As everyone else has already stated, it's difficult to provide a specific answer without photographs and a comprehensive evaluation. However, septoplasty can be performed at same time as rhinoplasty. Most plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons perform both simultaneously.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+2

In defense of the ENT, it is really impossible to tell what you need and what you don't need without a photo. Perhaps there is really nothing that can be done surgically with your nose that is safe or effective, and if a rhinoplasty were performed it would actually negate the positive effect of the septoplasty. You certainly can get another opinion, but I think the true answer lies in whether the rhinoplasty that you want can be done on your nose.

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Rhinoplasty with Septoplasty

+2

Surgeons must be careful to avoid breathing problems after a rhinoplasty. A  septoplastyis one way to maintain normal function with cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery. Both procedures can, and many times, should be done at the same time.  

Combination septoplas and rhinoplasty

+2

If your septal problem is as you say, a concominant rhinoplasty should not affect the seotoplasty result to improve your breathing. Get several opinions. Most plastic surgeons and ENT surgeons are trained in both procedures, and they are frequently done together.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

OK to have Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty together.

+2

IMHO, I disagree completely.  Of course, you can have a Septoplasty with a Rhinoplasty..in fact we call that a Septorhinoplasty.  I have done these many times for over 20 years.  Not all ENT surgeons are well experienced performing Rhinoplasty, although a great many are.  Just to be clear, I did ENT training, folowed by a facial plastic surgery fellowship and a general cosmetic surgery fellowship, so I am not picking on any one surgical group.  I'd suggest getting second opinions from a couple of Rhinoplasty surgeons with good reputations before proceding.

Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty

+2

I do these surgeries at the same time all the time. a properly done rhinoplasty will not interfere with nasal airways and sometimes a rhinoplasty will improve nasal breathing.  I would get a second opinion from someone with experience in rhinopasty.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon