Can I Have a Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty at the Same Time?

What are their complications and side effects? Will I need the same period to recover?

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty can be done together

+1

Yes, most often septoplasty and rhinoplasty are performed at the same time as many surgeons utilize the septal cartilage for their structural support of the nose.

Absolutely can be done together

+1

Absolutely you can do both together, this is actually very common.  The recovery time is not very different than doing each as a separate surgery.

Babak Larian, MD

Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty

+1

Septoplasty is often a crucial part of Rhinoplasty for structural, cartilage grafting, or functional purposes.  The nasal septum is the primary source of cartilage grafts during Rhinoplasty and must often be addressed to straighten a crooked nose.  Lastly, a septal deviation can contribute greatly to nasal obstruction and Septoplasty is employed to improve a patient's symptoms.  The recovery period is not significantly affected with Septoplasty.  Since I incorporate some form of septal work in most of my Rhinoplasty cases, I rarely make a differentiation in the risk/ benefit profile between Rhinoplasty and Septorhinoplasty.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty at same time

+1

Performing rhinoplasty and septoplasty at the same time is quite common.  It is custom to remove cartilage from the septum to use as grafting material for the rhinoplasty portion of the surgery.  The deviated portions of septal cartilage are removed and used to build a softer, but stronger nose with rhinoplasty.  I would encourage you to have these done at the same time if considering doing both.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal deviation

+1

That is how it is most frequently done. The main issue is insurance coverage when the septal deviation is blocking the nasal airway and/or is a result of recent trauma. Since the insurance company only pays for the functional septal straightening part of the surgery and not the cosmetic portion. In that case surgery, operating room and anesthesia costs have to all be divided into cosmetic and non-cosmetic portions to be paid by the patient and insurance company, respectively. To my knowledge doing them together does not increase the risks associated with each procedure when done separately.
I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty

+1

One can not address whether you specifically can have a rhinoplasty or Septoplasty together at the same time via the Internet.  However, this is a combination that is very frequent. The addition of the two procedures generally in my practice does not change the recovery period but the addition of a Septoplasty does generally require the use of splints inside the nasal passages. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD