Could Rhinoplasty or Septoplasty Relieve Pressure from the Hump in my Nose?

I have a deviated septum and a large boney hump in my nose. I have always hated the hump, but when the pollen count is high, the bridge of my nose actually hurts. Yet my nose isn't stuffy. If excessive bone/cartilage were removed during a rhinoplasty, could it relieve the pressure from the hump in my nose and from my sinuses? Could the same surgeon be qualified to do a septoplasty and rhinoplasty? My allergist just referred me to an ENT/Otolaryngologist for deviated septum.

Rhinoplasty or septoplasty unlikely to relieve pressure

+2

A rhinoplasty will not relieve pressure in the hump of the nose.  A deviated septum causes congestion and nasal obstruction symptoms, which can be repaired by performing a septoplasty.
Any pressure related to sinuses must be investigated with a CAT scan of the paranasal sinuses.  If there are polyps present in the sinuses, headaches, facial pain and pressure at the cheeks and nose area are typical symptoms. If the CAT scan and pertinent patient medical history indicates sinus surgery, it will be addressed through endoscopic sinus surgery techniques.  Allergic swelling from the inside of the nose is always treated medically with nasal sprays, antihistamines, and decongestants and not surgically.  If a septorhinoplasty is warranted, select a surgeon that has extensive experience in septoplasty and rhinoplasty and is board certified in, Ear, Nose, and Throat, as well as Facial Plastic Surgery.

+2

Hi,

You may be feeling nasal bone pressure as a result of sinus pressure. Consider getting a CT scan of your sinuses. If you need surgery, consider an ENT/Facial Plastic Surgeon that can fix your septum and do your rhinoplasty and possibly your sinuses at the same time. Some ENT surgeons are comfortable doing rhinoplasty as well.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty

+2

The septoplasty and rhinoplasty should be done at the same time. An ENT specialist who does cosmetic work (some don't), a facial plastic surgeon, or a plastic surgeon who has experience nasal surgery can all do your surgery. None of this work will cure your allergies but your symptoms may be less severe with a better nasal airway.

+2

Allergies cause internal nasal swelling and should be the focus of your treatment.  A deviated septum may decrease the airway space within which this swelling can expand however, the dorsal hump has zero effect at all.  Septoplasty may be considered but a Rhinoplasty would be strictly aesthetic in nature.

Hump that hurts

+2

it is difficult to tie the allergy symptoms to the pain in your hump from a scientific/medical perspective but there may be some unique relationship specific to you

with that said it is hard to say if it would improve with a rhinoplasty

to address your other questions

in my opinion, i think it makes sense for the same person who is doing the septoplasty to do the rhinoplasty

that is how i like to do it

knowing what i know, i would recommend selecting a providers based on the quality of their rhinoplasty (if they can do this well, there is a good chance they can do a good septo).  i am not sure the reverse is true - just because one can do a septo well does not mean they can do a rhino well.  i take care of a fair number of revision rhino patients who had the "lets add on a rhino while your are having the septo done"

please do not take any of this as specific medical advice but just general information

if you are interested in comming to austin, i would be happy to give you a customized treatment plan you can consider advice

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump, septal deviation and allergies.

+2

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump, septal deviation and allergies can be done by either your ENT surgeon or a facial plastic or general plastic surgeon if they are properly trained.

Your plastic surgeon can do both rhinoplasty and septoplasty

+2

Plastic surgeons are very comfortable treating a deviated septum for breathing problems, and completing a cosmetic rhinoplasty at the same time. Often the septum is used for cartilage to shape and support the bridge or nasal tip, and it would be a shame if the ENT removed it beforehand.

Pain from hump

+1

Based on your description it appears that you have 2 unrelated issues.  I would not count on the pain getting better after rhinoplasty but it is possible that it may

Sam Naficy, MD

Nasal Pain and Congestion

+1

Nasal pain and stuffiness is not directly attributed to your nasal hump. Correction of a deviated septum can improve your breathing.I prefer to do the septoplasty and rhinoplasty at the same sitting.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Hump treatment

+1

A rhinoplasty will correct the hump but will have no effect on you nasal stuffiness.  This may be improved if you have a septal deviation or large turbinates that require treatment.  No surgery will cure allergies and these may be the source of your stuffiness.  See a board certified surgeon for an evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD