Rhinoplasty/septoplasty Post Surgery Trauma?

6 months ago I had septoplasty/rhinoplasty surgery. In the last few days my nose felt great, almost completely normal. Yesterday a student kicked a soccer ball in my face at work and now my nose is very sore and swollen again. The GP said the cartilage took most of the trauma and thinks it should settle down. I am concerned that the final result will be affected given it was quiet a hard blow or should it all be strong enough now.

Trauma post surgery

+1

At six months, your should have returned to normal strength. However, you should have your surgeon check as soon as possible.

Setoplasty/Rhinoplasty Post Surgery Trauma

+1
I would suggest going in and seeing your surgeon who performed your Septorhinoplasty as he/she is familiar with your surgical procedure and will be able to properly evaluate your current status. While your nose may be healed you can still fracture it with a blow to the nose. I am in Newport Beach and we have soccer year round so I see a lot of kicks to the nose some are fine and heal properly others have required surgical intervention. Best regards and hopes for a speedy recovery!

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal trauma following rhinoplasty.

+1

At 6 months following rhinoplasty, the nose will have regained all of the 'strength' that it will regain.  However, nasal trauma can result in injuries that should be evaluated as soon as possible such as septal hematomas and nasal bone fractures.  For this reason it is advisable to be evaluated by a specialized nasal surgeon.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal trauma 6 months after rhinoplasty

+1

At 6 months after the surgery, the nose has achieved its normal strength.  Having said that, one can traumatize or break even an unoperated nose if the blow is strong enough.

The best thing for you would be to see your surgeon (since he is the most familiar with surgical nuances and with the post-operative appearance of your nose) or any other rhinoplasty specialist and get evaluated.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

+1

You should be seen by your Rhinoplasty Surgeon or one that he/she recommends close by to evaluate the inside of the nose for septal hematoma and or trauma.  Whether the impact was enough to cause aesthetic changes to your nose or not will not be know for approximately 4-6 weeks until the initial swelling subsides.  Cracks in the nasal cartilage can cause the nose to bend over weeks, months and years after the traumatic event.

Trauma after rhinoplasty

+1

I would advise anybody who has experienced nasal trauma to see their surgeon within a week of the injury.  Sometimes, we can reset the nose into position just by repositioning the bones if they are fractured.  If you wait for more than 1-2 weeks, the bones may have re-set and you would require a more complicated procedure later.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon