Incisions Fell Apart and Deviated Septum After Septo-Rhinoplasty

I had Septo-Rhinoplasty and polyp reduction 6 months ago. I still have some breathing problems so I went to ENT and he said my septum is still deviated and polyps need trimming! The incisions inside my nose came apart and are loose, so I have these gashes in my nose that I have to be careful with so they won't get irritated. The incisions fell apart most likely because the cartilage between the nostrils was crooked, and my doctor never fixed it. Now, it's even worse and visible too. I also wanted the size of the nose reduced a little, but he didnt even touch the bone. Can these even be fixed since they're healed this way? What do I do, as I don't trust this surgeon anymore? Am I entitled to a refund, at least?

Need to evaluate but a revision rhinoplasty can repair the nose

+2

If the incision don't heal properly after surgery, then it will lead to scarring. If there are areas that have not yet healed then they may have to be treated to allow healing first and then a revision can be done if needed.  Having said all this, any problem in the nose can be repaired or recosntructed.  A thorough exam of the nose and sinuses is needed to asses "the gashes" and the possible polyps.

Nasal surgery can be complicated

+2

A complete evaluation of the nose is needed.  Attention should be paid to the exact nature of the procedure and the why the result is not what you expected.  Start with the original surgeon first to see if they can resolve your concerns

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfactory Nose Surgery

+1

I am sorry for your condition and agree with most of my colleagues points.

While a full examination would be required to address your concerns, it appears your nose can still be corrected. You appear to have had a closed rhinoplasty in the course of which your tip dropped giving rise to slight nares(nostrils) flaring and increased prominence of the cartilaginous dorsum of the nose. elevation of the tip would BOTH correct the droopy older look and make the nose appear straighter.

The deviation you circled appears to be the front (caudal) end of the septum buckling into the right nasal airway. That portion would need to be straighted, possibly with grafts, and repositioned in the middle.

The open incision MAY have been your fault. Think back. Did you zealously try to "keep things clean"? in so doing you may have removed 2 dissolving stitches before it was time. This should pose no harm and should heal.

Please, see your surgeon and ask him what can be done. Depending on his answer you may want to see a Rhinoplasty revision specialists.

Dr. Aldea

These can be fixed

+1
A deviated septum, a rhinoplasty, and sinus surgery can be performed all at the same time. A CAT scan of the paranasal sinuses will further delineate any need for sinus surgery. Polyps can be trimmed and removed if necessary but only documented on the CT scan first. As far as the irregularities on the columella and septum, these can all be addressed at the same time. Bone work can be done at the same time as well. These can all be fixed with somebody who is well-versed and has done thousands of nasal surgeries.

See a revision rhinoplasty specialist.

+1

You really should see a revision rhinoplasty specialist to evaluate what the current problems are and what to do about them in an organized fashion. If your ENT is such a person he can do both the functional and cosmetic aspects of the surgery. Sorry, but you are not "entitled to a refund". The surgeon you went to did his best, which was not what you wanted. Therefore, make sure this time the surgeon is experienced and knows what you want and how to make it.