Will Revision Rhinoplasty Correct my Nose?

I have had my nose broken more than 3 times in the course of my life, and my nose is moderately deviated. It bothers me that my face is asymmetrical, although I have only minor problems breathing. My septum is also perforated, which was either a congenital defect or occurred early in life (I do remember getting many nosebleeds as a child). I underwent a Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty in late 2005, and am still concerned by the look of my nose. Is there hope for a revision?

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

You have a challenging problem given your history of multiple nasal fractures and prior surgery. Keep in mind that each time the nose is broken or undergoes surgery, it forms scar tissue secondary to the trauma. This makes the next procedure more challenging and more prone to prolonged swelling. I would advise you to see a board-certified plastic surgeon or ENT who is extremely experienced in revision (aka "secondary") rhinoplasty. Good luck.

Revision Rhinoplasty may help

+2

It's always possible to improve a nose. The main question is whether the risks of further surgery out weigh the benefits. Getting a nose straight after previous multiple trauma and surgery is always a significant challenge. The most important thing to do is to get an opinion from a surgeon who is highly experienced in rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty.

Richard Rival, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be careful!

+2

You do have hope for a nose you can be happy with. You must understand that this is a very difficult procedure to get a great result, and at this time your nose is in a complex state.

My STRONG advice to you is to go to a very very very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the revision. My guess is that the perforation may have been caused by the surgery, especially if it was not present before hand.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Your revision rhinoplasty will be a challenging procedure.

+2

Would you be happy with your appearance if your nose wasn't crooked or deviated? A Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty is when you use injectable fillers in the nose; this can often correct a crooked appearance. I've attached a photo demonstrating correction of a crooked appearance. You'll notice increased width at the area of correction which looks improved on this male patient.

If you have other issues with your nose, a revision procedure will be especially difficult since you no longer have adequate septal cartilage for grafting purposes. You should consult a board-certified, experienced, rhinoplasty surgeon with many favorable photos of revision surgeries.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinolpasty is always possible

+2

Yes, it is possible to undergo an additional revision however it is not realistic to expect a perfectly straight nose. If this is your goal, you may want to reconsider.

A revision rhinoplasty may involve an extensive number of procedures including grafts from you ears or ribs. This can also result in significant costs.

Seek the consultation of an individual experienced in revision rhinoplasty and avoid shortcuts.

Very difficult to make it better, but possible

+2

Deviated noses and perforated septums are challenging problems. This is compounded by the fact that you you have broken your nose in the past. Even the most experienced nose surgeon would have some difficulty fixing your nose.

Without personally examining you, it is impossible for me to know exactly what your nose will need. However, I have dealt with broken noses and deviated noses before and can tell you what the issues usually are.

Because the nose is made up of so many different related parts, it is sometimes impossible to get everything perfectly straight. This is especially true if you have broken your nose several times before.

My advice would be to obtain a consultation with an experienced nose surgeon. It is possible that they may say that your nose can't be improved and that this is the best you can get. As long as your apppearance is not deformed and you are breathing okay, I would recommend you leave it alone at this point. There is a risk with all surgery and it is possible, given the numerous injuries and the surgery you had, that additional surgery can make it worse.

John Diaz, MD

Revisional rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty is challenging surgery. Revisional rhinoplasty is even more challenging. There is hope for your situation, but only in the hands of a master technician. I suggest you do some research and find a surgeon who has performed a significant number of rhinoplasty revisions. Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD

You need an expert in revision rhinoplasty

+2

There are a only handful of national experts in dealing with a situation like yours.  Only a surgeon who has an enormous experience in this type of surgery can give you an honest and accurate opinion regarding what, if anything, can be done for your nose.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

See a revision rhinoplasty specialist.

+1

Your nose can look better, but you must see an experienced revision rhinoplasty specialist who has done many revisions like yours. See many before and after photos or real patients he has done.

Hope for a revision

+1

There is absolutely hope for revisions with rhinoplasty.  It is suggested to have an board certified plastic surgeon with experience, as it is tricky working in scared tissue.  But, certainly do able

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)