Rhinoplasty Scheduled Next Month, Having Second Thoughts, Normal?

I'm scheduled for a rhinoplasty next month, at first I was all excited, but now I'm starting to get concerned after reading numerous stories of botched jobs, done even by professionals. I'm really afraid this will happen to me even though I chose a board certified surgeon, who's done hundreds of noses, which I really liked the before and after pictures. Should I wait until my post op and discuss these concerns?

Nervous before Surgery

+1

It is normal to feel nervous prior to a surgical procedure. You have taken the recommended safety steps by viewing before and after photos and choosing a board certified plastic surgeon who has ample experience performing nose surgery to perform your procedure. Discuss your feelings and concerns with your surgeon, who can help you feel reassured by going over the process to make you more comfortable about your plans.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Having seconds thought about rhinoplasty

+1

It is normal to have second thoughts prior to undergoing elective cosmetic surgery.  Have your rhinoplasty performed by somebody who is very experienced and has performed many different kinds of nose jobs.  It is important that your surgeon has done thousands of nose jobs and not just one hundred or so.

Cold Feet is normal!

+1

Cold feet and pre-op jitters are a natural part of the rhinoplasty process. What you said is that you did all the appropriate research and you like your surgeons results. I would bring up your anxieties to your surgeon before the surgery but in my opinion you have done everything right and will get a fantastic result. Go for it.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety Re Future Rhinoplasty

+1

It is normal to be anxious about the rhinoplasty you have scheduled. It sounds like you have done your homework in selecting a surgeon who is board certified and is an experienced surgeon whose results you like. Schedule another appointment with you surgeon to review the operation and clarify your goals; do not wait until after the surgery. If necessary, get a second opinion.

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 2o years and IMHO, it's very normal for patients to be anxious before Rhinoplasty just like any plastic and cosmetic surgery.  Some patients are more nervous than others but at the end of the day, you should have faith in the aesthetic judgement and skill of your Rhinoplasty Surgeon and be excited about the aesthetic benefits of having your Rhinoplasty.  If for some reason you have second thoughts about the aesthetic plan, then by all means discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon before the surgery.

1.  

Is it normal to have second thoughts prior to Rhinoplasty...

+1

It is perfectly normal to have second thoughts about your surgery.  It's a big step to take, but it sounds like you have taken the right precautions.  It is important to go to someone who specializes in rhinoplasty and has performed many cases.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to refer you to a few past patients on which he has performed rhinoplasty to talk to.  If you have any other concerns you should definitely discuss them with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.  Good Luck!

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Concerns

+1

It is very common to have concerns before any surgery, particulary a rhinoplasty. You need to feel clear about the plan and confident based on your review of the surgeon's before and after photos. If still unsure, it may be helpfult to ask to speak with some of the surgeon's former patients.  Getting a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon may be helpful also.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Preop Rhinoplasty Concerns

+1

It it perfectly normal to have a little bit of anxiety preoperatively.  Please discuss any concerns before surgery, not after, with your surgeon.  If you have done your homework and you are on the same page with him or her, you should be fine.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Nervous about rhinoplasty

+1

Anxiety prior to any procedure is a perfectly natural and very common feeling.  In fact, one of my first comments to every patient before their procedure is “Don’t be nervous, you are going to do fine”.

It sounds like you have done your homework and you have selected a qualified surgeon with board certification, experience and has plenty of before and after photographs to illustrate the quality of his work.  All that is left to do, which is also the most important, is to trust your instincts.  If you are comfortable with your surgeon and believe they will support you through the entire recovery process, then you should feel good about your decision.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second thoughts about rhinoplasty

+1

Second thoughts are uncommon before rhinoplasty if you have thought about your nose for a long time, and had very careful consultation and planning for your procedure. If you, and your surgeon, have a clear idea of the expected outcome, and the procedure is for you, and you alone, the decision is a correct one. There is no harm in a delay if you are unsure.

peterejohnsonmd.com