Rhinoplasty: Scar Tissues or Bony Callus, What is the Revision Process?

I had a Rhinoplasty 8 years ago (I was 18). After 6 months I noticed a bump on the nose-bridge.My surgeon urged me to wait a few years as I was very young at the time of the surgery and the nose was still in its growing process. Today the bump is still there and I wonder if it is bony callus or scar tissue. Is there a high chance that scar tissue grows back more pronounced after a revision surgery? What options do I have to remove it? Will it keep growing, or can it resolve after so many years?

Scar tissues or bony callus?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue that developed with your bridge. It is difficult to give you advice without seeing photos or performing an examination. What did you have performed during your initial surgery? A callus can sometimes form when:

1) Osteotomies are performed, and the callus develops as a result of the healing of the bones

2) There is a fragmentation of bone following rasping of a nasal hump

The size of a callus can vary depending on the patient and how they heal. If it is scar tissue, it may not feel as firm. It is difficult to predict how scar tissue will form following a revision, and it may be pronounced depending on the circumstances of the patient. Don't worry, the issue can likely be improved. A revision rhinoplasty would be necessary to remove it, but if that's all that is being done, the procedure would not be too involved. At this point, it will not likely resolve on its own. I would recommend seeing a revision rhinoplasty surgeon for a consult. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

Your bump is most likely residual bone.  This can be removed fairyly easily and should not recur.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Revision rhinoplasty for a nasal bump.

+1

Revision rhinoplasty for a nasal bump can often be done under local anesthesia and should not recur. 

+1

Just from the description, a good result can probably be achieved with a closed rhinoplasty to reduce the residual hump.  This will not come back over time.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bump on nose 8 years after rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for asking about your rhinoplasty result.

1. The bump is probably thickening of scar over the mid-nose from the rhinoplasty. It can be treated.
  2. Occasionally this rhinoplasty re-do is just minor office surgery.
  3. More often, a re-do rhinoplasty has to be done in a proper operating room.
  4.  If you liked your original surgeon, return to him/her. If not, find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon you can trust.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD