Rhinoplasty Scar Tissue Problem After Revision?

I had rhinoplasty on my tip to make it smaller, 1year later the tip was even bigger than original nose so i had a revision but 7months on i am left with the same problem,surgeon said scar tissue's formed again, i don't want to have another op just for the scar tissue to come back again but i need to know will this scar tissue ever go & will my tip get smaller? im distraught, if i knew i may have ended up with a bigger tip i would never have done this.i can't talk to my surgeon he has no patience

Scar Tissue after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I’m very sorry that you’re unhappy, and that you cannot speak with your surgeon.  Secondary or revision rhinoplasty is probably one of the most challenging operations that any rhinoplasty surgeon can perform. Unfortunately I cannot give you definitive advice without directly examining you.  If you cannot speak with your surgeon, my suggestion is that you seek out another board certified plastic surgeon whom you can establish a rapport with. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue after revision rhinoplasty

+1

Depending on the nature of your surgery, it can take up to one year to see the final result.  At 7 months post-op, you are still experiencing swelling. With a revision that involves tip work, the amount of time it takes to see the final outcome is influenced by the following:

1) The extent of the tip work, and how many revisions you have had in the past
2) The thickness of your skin

5-Flourouracil mixed with kenalog is a powerful way to help soften and potentially reduce the amount of scar tissue present after a revision rhinoplasty.  I have also seen some patients that are diagnosed with scar tissue actually have thick sebaceous skin.  In these cases, a light dose of Accutane, a medication that reduces the thickness of sebaceous skin, may help define your nose.   I would recommend speaking with your surgeon about this option.  If he is not receptive, I would recommend seeking a second opinion with a qualified surgeon. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/surgical-procedures/rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty scar tissue problem after revision

+1

Revisional rhinoplasty is considered the most difficult procedures.  There is scar tissue in any previously operated site.  Combined with delicate and oftentimes over resected cartilage, the exposure is challenging.   If over resection is the case, then a broader or collapsed tip can result.  Repairing this usually requires placement of cartilage grafts taken from the septum, ear or rib.  Occasionally synthetic grafts are used as well.  With these techniques, I have felt very comfortable showing patients predictable outcomes through video imaging.  Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon that is happy to show you plenty of examples and discuss in detail your concerns.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and scar tissue

+1

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately with photos and examination it would be difficult to precisely address your concern. Nasal surgery results depends not only on technique but also nasal skin and underlying framework. You may want to get a second opinion before you go through another surgery.

Scar Tissue in the Tip of the Nose

+1

Hi,

If you started with a very large and bulbous tip, then chances are that not much was done to correct that and that your surgeries just added more scar tissue. The good news is that this can be correct through an open rhinoplasty approach. You should send or post a picture of your nose so we can get a better look at your concerned about.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Scar tissue in tip after revision

+1

Some patients just form scar after revison compromising the result. It is unfortunate but an unpleasant fat o surgery. I ont like steroid shots they can over decrease sar esultng in irregularities. You may wish to risk it gain with another surgeon.A trick I have used in scar formers is flonase on a qtip applied liberally to the mucosa of the scar area.