Does Open Revision Rhinoplasty Increase Chance of Scar Tissue? (photo)

Im 7 months post open rhino to reduce hump, refine tip&decrease nostril size.2 months post op i noticed a small bump on right side of tip.dr said its cartilage which he would remove in 1 yr with another open rhino.6months post op&i think i have slight pollybeak.does open rhino increase my chances of more scar tissue forming on the area ABOVE my tip because i feel the area is too full when viewing my left profile but im not sure if this is due to the bump on my tip or scar tissue above my tip

Open revision rhinoplasty and increased chance of scar tissue

+1

There is usually more scar tissue than edema with the open rhinoplasty than the closed due to the more extensive nature of open rhinoplasty.  A closed rhinoplasty procedure can certainly remove a small bump on the tip or the bridge during a touchup procedure.  A slight pollybeak is best treated with cortisone shots to the supratip area.  Blenderm tape can also be applied to the bridge in an attempt to reduce fluid retention in the tip area, which can lead to scar tissue formation.

Revison rhinoplasty

+1

A revision rhinoplasty may be warranted.  The polly beak deformity is often related to either soft tissue or anatomic structures that were not taken down enough during the surgery.  It can happen with open or closed procedures.  In themean time, you need to allow things to heal.  As for revision, be comfortable with the surgeon.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

In my experience open rhinoplasty gives the surgeon much more control over the nose if you need to make changes to cartilidge placement and/or other tip modification. It's hard to tell from the photo you posted but the recommendation of an open approach seems reasonable if you are unhappy with your result. Best of luck, Dr Kerr

Increased Chance of Scar Tissue with Open Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

It is hard to evaluate the tip and the area above the tip without a frontal and profile picture. However, there is not an increased chance of scar tissue if your revision is done using the open technique. You may want to get a second opinion, but follow the recommendations of the surgeon you select. Pick the surgeon, not the technique.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.