Pulled Dissolvable Stitch out After Rhinoplasty

I had a tip Rhinoplasty on 2/27/09, and while I was cleaning my nose on the right side today (around a week after surgery), I pulled out my dissolvable stitch, thinking it was hair. Will this affect my long term result? How long does it take for dissolvable stiches to dissolve? Will my right nostril be uneven because of this? Thank you!

And They Said "No Strings Attached"...Pulling Out Dissovable Suture a Week After Rhinoplasty

+4

Hi Denver gal,

As one of my fellow residents in training used to say, "NTW". Not to worry. The stitches could be removed after 5-7 days without affecting the outcome of your rhinoplasty. The time that dissolvable sutures take to dissolve varies depending upon the moisture, between 10 to 21 days. Do not pull too vigorously on anything else though.

My fellow resident also was fond of saying, "Jacuzzi to me Stat!” which sounds like a good idea for me right about now.

Be well and enjoy your new nose.

Dr. P

Will not affect rhinoplasty results

+3
It is not a problem to pull a dissolvable stitch out of the nose within the first two weeks after rhinoplasty. This is a normal appearance, and they do tend to fall out once the tensile strength of the stitch has weakened, and will not affect the long-term results of the rhinoplasty. Most dissolvable stitches dissolve out between one and two weeks after the rhinoplasty.

You will be fine

+3

The best advice is to leave your nose alone after surgery. It is very tempting to start messing with it and trying to keep it clean. However, you do not want to disrupt anything. A stitch coming out 10 days later is likely no big deal. However, if you have concerns, then you should see your doctor for an examination. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Don't pick your nose after surgery

+3

This should have little consequences if it was used to close the skin layer (lining of the nostril). Generally, stitches which structure and support the nose shape will be buried deep in the nasal tip, and not be accessible to your finger. With that being said, avoid touching the nose. Gentle cleansing of the lining can be achieved with half strength peroxide soaked q-tips if approved by your surgeon. Use of a saline nasal spray will help keep the lining moist and comfortable as well. I hope this helps.

No Worries

+3

There are a number of dissolving sutures used in the nose. I tend to use chromic, but no matter. The sutures will usually fall out at about 7 10 days all by themselves, but that can vary. At this point, the stitch did its job, and you should be fine. Just examine your nose, and if nothing is changed, just tell you doctor on next visit.

scottkinfw@msn.com
www.drkasden.us

Scott E. Kasden, MD

The Rhinoplasty sutures did their job

+2

It sounds like you removed a suture that was placed to reapproximate the internal nasal lining (mucosa). The mucasa heals very quickly: after 1 week, the sutures are usually not needed any longer and are meant to melt away. This should not impair the end-result of your rhinoplasty procedure.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Absorbable sutures

+1
Absorbable sutures are commonly used for closure of the internal incisions during rhinoplasty. Depending on the exact material, they may dissolve in a matter of days or may last up to about 3 weeks. At the 1 week mark following rhinoplasty, the skin incisions have healed quite well and the skin sutures are no longer required. If you accidentally pulled out an absorbable suture, this should have no untoward effect on your result. You should mention that this happened when you see your surgeon in follow-up if you are still concerned.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Stitches Following Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to encounter suture remnants inside their nose following rhinoplasty. These are typically absorbable sutures which are used to close the intra nasal incision. Depending upon the type of suture used, they have usually dissolved within two to four weeks following surgery.

Occasionally, these sutures can persist, which can result in crusting and scabbing. After approximately two weeks, removal of these sutures should not have structural consequences. Removal should be performed by trained medical personnel to avoid injury to adjacent structures.

Nasal rinses with hydrogen peroxide can facilitate removal of these suture remnants.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Do not pull at stitches after rhinoplasty

+1

Absorbable stitches will come out on their own after rhinoplasty. This usually occurs during the few weeks after surgery. If you mistakenly pull out one week or two after surgery, this should not affect your result (most likely). I would always allow your surgeon to remove any sutures that stick out. Please also let your surgeon know that this happened. 

Dr. Zoumalan

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Stitches After Rhinoplasty

+1

It's best to leave the nose area alone during your recovery process. However, if you pulled out the stitch a week or two after your surgery, it shouldn't interfere with your healing in the long-run. Most dissolvable stitches are removed 1-2 weeks after surgery.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS