Previously Broke Nose, Recently Hit and Made Crunch Noise, and Have Breathing Problems. Is Rhinoplasty Right for Me?

When I was in Grade 2, I broke my nose playing baseball. It has been 8 years but I still feel the repercussions. My nose is slightly crooked and larger than it used to be; it doesn't fit my face very nicely. It is also quite weak. All I have to do is apply a bit of pressure to it and it begins to hurt. Recently I accidentally hit it softly against my brother's head and a crunching sound could be heard. I have also had a breathing problem ever since. Would Rhinoplasty fix all these problems?

Nasal trauma and breathing problems

+1

Any broken nose or breathing problem can be corrected at the same time and is usually billed to the patient’s insurance.  When the nose is broken, a simple reduction of nasal fracture with osteotomies is done to reset the nasal bones straight and a septoplasty or reducing a septal fracture is done to correct a deviated septum.   If the patient desires cosmetic change to the appearance of the nose, a rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time.  However, the patient must pay for the rhinoplasty cost of the surgery.

+1

Rhinoplasty may be appropriate for you but you'd need to have a consultation with qualified Rhinoplasty Surgeons that understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.  

Nasal fractures and airway issues

+1

It sounds like you  may have a problem that could be addressed, but you will need your parent's permission to be seen and a proper evaluation.  Good luck.

Broken Nose with Breathing Problems

+1

A rhinoplasty will improve the appaearance of your nose if necessary but other procedures such as a septoplasty will probably be done to improve your nasal breathing.

Rhinoplasty for fractured nose

+1
After nasal trauma you may have developed functional problems. Evaluation can identify a deviated septum, nasal misalignment, and possible nasal valve problems. Best to be assessed to accurately diagnose your problem. SeptoRhinoplasty often is performed to enhance breathing and appearance.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to help breathing problems

+1

You would benefit from an exam by a rhinoplasty surgeon to see what can be done about your nose. Rhinoplasty can certainly help with breathing problems depending on the cause. It can also help with straighten the nose and making it smaller as well.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD