Will Rhinoplasty Get Rid of the Pain Broken Nose Causes? (photo)

I got headbutted in the nose 5 months ago andhave an internal middle valve collapse (depressed area on the right side of my nose in the first pic; 2nd pic is "before" pic. As time goes on, the pain gets more and more intensified. My nose throbs with pain 24/7, and I constantly have horrible headaches and migraines. The plastic surgeon I consulted said he will have to use a spreader graft to treat the depression but will this get rid of the pain? If so, how and why? Thank you!

Rhinoplasty and pain from broken nose

+1

There are many reasons as to why patients get headaches after being head butted and having a broken nose.  A few of the reasons why patients can have facial pain syndrome after head trauma is from a pure concussion itself.  Additionally, a deviated septum with a bone spur formation from head trauma and a broken nose can cause a distribution of facial headaches.  Preexisting chronic sinusitis with nasal polyps can also cause the patient severe facial pain and pressure.  Migraine headaches are truly neurologic in origin and are not related to nasal trauma.  Spreader grafts are an excellent way to treat the nasal depression and lift the internal nasal valve outward which gives both a cosmetic and functional improvement to the midthird of the nose.  Spreader grafts will not help with any headaches.  It is probably best to undergo a CAT scan of the perinasal sinuses to see if there are any issues that may be causing the pain in the midface area.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/neckliftandlipo_photos12.html

Will rhinoplasty help pain?

+1

Jessie.  Sinus problems can develope post traumatically and can cause a dull throbbing pain around your nose  This should be discussed with your surgeon so an appropriate work up can be performed.  In general, I advise my patients who have pain prior to a rhinoplasty that they understand that the surgery will not address any pain issues.  But, sinus tenderness can often times be improved with medical treatment or surgery.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will rhinoplasty improve nose pain?

+1

Hi Jessie. Thank you for your question. Rhinoplasty may be successfully employed to improve several nasal issues including both appearance (shape, size, symmetry, proportion) and function (nasal breathing, sinus drainage). However, rhinoplasty generally does not improve symptoms of nasal pain unless a source of your pain is identified preoperatively and specifically addressed at the time of surgery. Spreader grafting alone is unlikely to address your pain issue. Potential sources for your persistent symptoms should be sought before rhinoplasty is undertaken. Otherwise, the pain will likely remain unchanged after rhinoplasty. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.pearsonmd.com/rhinoplasty-surgery.htm

Surgery will not help your pain

+1

Get a CT scan to make sure there is nothing being missed.  You should only consider surgery for cosmetic reasons or if you have breathing problem that could be corrected with surgery.  Surgery will not help with the pain.

Rhinoplasty for pain

+1

Rhinoplasty is not a surgery for pain relief. I agree with your need for a spreader graft to support your lateral nasal sidewall but the persistent intensifying pain is a concern. I would suggest a CT scan of your sinuses to determine if sinus disease or obstruction could be the culprit.

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Trauma Rhinoplasty and Pain

+1

Post traumatic rhinoplasty's often result in some form of collapse or deviation of the nose. This can result in having problems breathing and it's severe, this could result in pain associated after the injury. A revision rhinoplasty or reconstructive rhinoplasty can help improve your breathing especially if an airway compromise has been diagnosed by your surgeon. This often requires the use of spreader graphs to fix this. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that any surgery will help rid you of the pain until it is formally diagnosed.

See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a full evaluation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Broken nose pain

+1

I would suggest that you be re-evaluated. Your constant pain maybe related to another problem, such as possible sinus disease or infection. It is possible that the surgery will improve your ability to breathe through your nose, but less likely to address your pain complaint.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon