Should I Go Through a Second Rhinoplasty?

Hi everyone, I recently had a closed rhinoplasty a year ago but my septum is leaning. My doctor has agreed to fix it this but I am wondering if this procedure would be difficult and if it will result in a change of appearance on my nose rather than just the crooked appearance?

The tip, shape, length, width, slopes, and everything else is perfect and I am really scared I will come out with something completely different. If anyone can help me out as I am really worried, I would really appreciate it as I am considering refusing this revision in fear of other complications. But it is necessary as it’s affecting my breathing and the tip is curving slightly as well to the opposite side of the bend. Thanks.

Revision Rhinoplasty: Weigh the Risks and Benefits

+2

Minor deformities following rhinoplasty are not uncommon. The most important question for you to ask yourself is: How much does this problem bother you? While revision surgery may correct the deviation, there is the possiblity that a new and perhaps more troublesome problem could arise.

Talk with your doctor about the likelihood of correction. You should also seek a second or even a third opinion. After you have more information, you should weigh the risks and benefits before making a decision to proceed with a revision.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septum and Nasal Shape

+1

The septum serves as the foundation for the shape of the nose.  Changes to it can lead to a change in the appearance.  Even in routine septoplasty (standard submucous cartilage resection), myself and several authors found the projection of the nose had changed in a cadaveric model (recently presented at a Spring Conference).  Beware of the potential risks and rewards and determine if the surgeon has enough experience in correcting the issue at hand.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty has nothing to do with the septum.

+1

Closed rhinoplasty has nothing to do with the septum. If the septum is leaning to one side and creating a nasal obstruction, a simple septoplasty can be done, which is usually covered under medical insurance. It is usually not that difficult unless the septum is very crooked at the very anterior-most portion of the nostril, which is structural cartilage.

Discuss this with your doctor

+1

You should make your concerns evident to your surgeon. It is possible to only correct the deviation and he should be aware that you don't wish anything else changed. Furthermore, he can advise you of the minimal risks involved. If you are not comfortable with his answer see a rhinoplasty revision specialist.

Revision Septoplasty After Previous Septo-Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Confused Gal,

You should address your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to address your septum while leaving the external appearance (other than the crookedness of your tip) alone.

Like all surgical procedures, it is important to weigh the risks versus the rewards. If your breathing is bad, it would be nice to breath better for the rest of your life, as long as your surgeon can assure you that the risks of complications and of changing the rest of your nose are very, very small.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD