Does Rhinoplasty Have Better Results on People Who Have Previously Had Their Nose Broken/Fractured?

I'm having a Septorhinoplasty done in 25 days to improve breathing/remove a hump and straighten my nose. I had my nose fractured at a really young age (I was in 2nd grade. I'm 18 now.) I'm wondering if the results would be better/more natural than that of someone who was 'born' with their nose? Or is it the opposite? Is it actually harder to do Rhinoplasty on a broken nose? I guess these anxious feelings are normal. Other details: -I'm a guy. -I have a small bump on my nose from the fracture.

Rhinoplasty after fractured nose

+2

The results of any Rhinoplasty lies in the hands of a skilled surgeon. Fractured noses may present some more difficulties during surgery then a nose which has not encountered any trauma, however this should not effect the overall results. I operate on a lot of athletic male patients who have fractured noses due to different sports incurred injuries. The patients are very happy to have their nose straight and their breathing restored as well. It is important in male patients to keep the nose masculine looking and in line with all of your aesthetic features. I personally use a digital imaging computer which allows me to show my consulting patients their proposed surgical results. This allows the patient and surgeon alike to know if you are on the same page. Best regards!

Rhinoplasty after prior nasal bones fracture

+2

The results from rhinoplasty should be good if you have chosen a good surgeon and if you have reasonable expectations.  Satisfaction is usually high when bumps are removed and broken bones are replaced into natural position. Make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page. 

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Rhinoplasty afte nasal fracture

+2

Usually noses that have had previous fractures can be more difficult. The septum may be crooked, and the bump large and this could play into the reduction of the dorsum more as well as the in-fracture.

Better rhinoplasty in people with broken noses

+2

Though it is true that a rhinoplasty in someone who has previously broken their nose is more difficult (due to scarring and distortion of normal anatomy), the results could be as natural as someone who has the surgery but never injured their nose before.  It depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon as well as the goal or shape that you are trying to achieve.  Generally, subtle changes look more natural than drastic ones.  Review these carefully with your surgeon.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Post traumatic rhino

+2

I take care of a fair number of teens an adults who have previously fractured their noses.

In general these cases represent more of a challenge than a non traumatic rhino.

Furthermore, the younger the injury the more severe the problem because subsequent growth amplifies the anatomical abnormality.

Good luck and verify your surgeon is experienced.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Correcting Fractured Nose With A Rhinoplasty

+1

Usually, a fractured nose does not look natural and a successful rhinoplasty will enhance it hence bringing the best to your facial features.

However, without photos and physical examination it is hard to make a definitive opinion about your case.

That being said please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of corrective surgeries dramatically.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

+1

Depending on the type of fracture you have had, your surgeon should be able to correct the deformities. It is important to be patient with healing that may take 9-12 months to complete.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after nasal trauma

+1

There is no yes or no answer to this question as the difficulty of surgery varies based on the degree of deformity (whether congenital or post-traumatic).  From my experience, one tends to have more deformity due to trauma if the injury occured before the nose is fully formed.  Nasal growth after the injury almost always makes the deformity worse, and thus more difficult to correct.  Having said that, it is quite realistic to achieve very good functional and cosmetic results even on the very anatomically difficult noses. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Post trauma rhinoplasty

+1

The surgeon has to go through the same maneuvers and dissection for any rhinoplasty whether primary or post trauma.It is essential to have a good surgical plan, and  a good understanding of the goal. Only if trauma was extremely distructive to the tissues would it make it worse. 

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Fractured Nose

+1

It is impossible to say "yes" or "no" unless the Cosmetic Surgeon has examined your particular nose.  However, in general, the presence of nasal fractures may increase the amount and level of needed work to be performed during rhinoplasty.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon