Could a Rhinoplasty Reduce the Width of my Nose?

My nose seems too wide for my face. There is also a lack of definition at the bottom of my nose where it seems to round off. I have slightly apparent bone on the bridge of my nose coming down the left side. This is not really an issue as from the side there are no bumps. I want to be realistic about a potential rhinoplasty so I know what exactly to look for when I start researching surgeons. Thanks! (Red splotch is a broken blood vessel, a whole other issue)

Wide Nose

Hi there. Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping surgery) to address a wide nose is a common request. Most likely, an “open rhinoplasty” (where the soft tissues are gently elevated to allow direct access to the tip cartilages) will be required. These tip cartilages are then sculpted and sutured to refine the nasal tip. Osteotomies are required to reposition a wide nose closer to the midline.

If you like, please follow the link below. The article on Nasal Analysis contains many diagrams that you may find helpful. This may help guide your conversation with your surgeon.

Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip plasty would thin the tip

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and I think the profile, of your nose is great with a nice bridge and good tip angle.  From the front, the nasal bridge again looks great but the tip is a bit wide and the nostrils are a bit thick.  I don't see that your skin is either to thin or thick and I think, if your are interested in improving the shape of your nose, that the tip could be thinned using a closed tip plasty instead of a full blown Rhinoplasty.  Please have several consultations with well experienced Rhinoplasty surgeons with good reputations to see what can and can't be done to improve the shape of your nose.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Rhinoplasty Procedure

Thanks for posting pictures - it makes the questions and answers much more informative.  It looks like you only need minor modifications of your nose to achieve a nice result.  However, you would need to be seen in person to know for sure.  Narrowing of the tip or nasal base is a common part of a stardard rhinoplasty.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty to Correct the Bulbous Tip

Thank you for the photos.  After reviewing them I do see your concerns regarding bulbous character of your nasal tip.  Yes, tip rhinoplasty can effectively refine the tip to allow it to be in better balance with the rest of your nose.  The bulbous tip is due to excessively large cartilage in the tip, which when reduced will have a more refined appearance.  Good Luck... Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose surgery - rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty, or nose job for a wide nose is commonly performed.  The width of the nose can be improved both over the bridge and the tip.  This provides a less bulbous and more refined appearance.  You might benefit from this based on your photos.  Your profile looks pretty good and should not be changed much.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subtle Rhinoplasty

It is hard to say exactly from the photos provided whether your nose balances with your overall facial structure. It is an important consideration in evaluating and planning surgery. Keep in mind that your overall facial structure may change if you are under 25 years of age. I can see just subtle issues with your nose, as described. There may be significant value in removing a small amount of tip cartilage, smoothing the profile, and limited narrowing where your nasal bones meet the facial bones. Make sure that you are specific in any consultation in order to ensure that you don't get 'overdone.' Keep in mind that the more subtle of a change, the longer it will take to see it. You will have to be patient after surgery. Best of luck.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Could rhinoplasty reduce the width

If the width of your lower nose is due to prominent cartilage and not soft tissue then a conservative tip rhinoplasty may achieve what you want. It it is soft tissue then leave it alone.  Computer imaging is helpful to see what a change would look like but it is not a guarantee. I would consider this a "finesse" rhinoplasty in which I'm trying to do the least I can to just enhance the look and not change it or damage it. You need to be comfortable with the idea that if you don't get everything you want but it still is better then you will be happy.  Beware trying to "hit a home run" with your surgery.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

A tip plasty is needed

The bridge looks good, it is just a wide tip I see in the photos. But you need to be seen in person to know for sure.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Thanks for the photos.  Overall you have nice features to your nose.  Some fine tuning can be performed to improve the the tip appearance.  I would schedule an appointment with a surgeon that offers computer imaging.  This will help you decide whether you feel the surgery would be beneficial enough.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Tip Rhinoplasty

Yes, a tip rhinoplasty would help reduce the width of your nose. This involves trimming and reshaping the lower later cartilages in your nose,  You appear to have a nice aesthetically pleasing nose otherwise. Make sure you discuss all your concerns with your surgeon prior to the procedure.