Is It Possible to Get Rhinoplasty Redone Within a Month?

I recently had it, and I know there is a massive amount of swelling, but the bridge is still too large and it still looks like you could shank someone with it(the tip). No amount of de-swelling will make it look how I told him(in a very clear and thorough manner) I wanted him to make it look. Is it possible to get it fixed this/next month? If not, please explain why...

Revision Rhinoplasty within One Month

+2

It is possible to have a revision rhinoplasty within 1 month of the original surgery, but I don't know any good surgeon who would do that. It is impossible to determine what should be  done with all the inflammation and swelling which is present at this time. Be patient! With all the swelling it is impossible to evaluate your results so soon after surgery.

Swelling from rhinoplasty and timing of rhinoplasty revision

+2

Swelling from rhinoplasty can obscure the true results of a rhinoplasty.  That being said, there are some reasons to undergo an earlier revision rhinoplasty. I would first address these issues with the surgeon who performed the rhinoplasty and who knows the details of the surgery performed on you.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Most revisions for rhinoplasty need to wait around a year.  The reason for this is that swelling around the nose can impact how the nose will change.  In many cases, small changes around the bridge in the tip will look different as the  nose continues to heal.  There are specific circumstances where the nose can be adjusted sooner so speak to your surgeon to see if you are a candidate.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

+2

You are to soon in the recovery phase to determine what needs to be done in a revision rhinoplasty. The majority of the swelling after rhinoplasty about 70% dissipates in the first 3 months and the final 30% takes an entire year to resolve itself. I would not suggest discussing revision surgery for a year. It is very unfortunate you are unhappy with your results and I would discuss this with your surgeon at your next appointment. Your surgeon knows what your expectations were and where you are in the recovery phase so it is best to have frequent follow ups and monitor your recovery closely. Best regards and good luck! Michael V.Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery may be considered 6-12 months post-op, depending on your condition.

+2

Your nose is too swollen, less than 1 month post-op, to consider revision rhinoplasty surgery. And revision rhinoplasty is exponentially more difficult than primary rhinoplasty surgery so it's important to await for the majority of your swelling to dissipate before considering another operation.

Feel free to re ask your question with photos for more specific advice from the RealSelf community of experts.

All the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

Pictures to get a better idea of what your nose looks like before and after surgery would be helpful.

In general, it is not advisable to perform surgery one month after your initial surgery. Although it is true that your nose will change after the swelling decreases, if the surgery did not achieve the goals discussed prior to surgery, then regardless of the swelling the nose will never look as intended.

In your case, and from your description, it sounds like this would be the case. The time required to recover is not to wait for the nose to take proper shape. This time is required to allow the skin envelope to recover from the first surgery so if a second surgery is needed the skin can recover appropriately. I would wait at least 6 months, and would avoid any kind of steroid injections.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

It is physically possible to revise a rhinoplasty the next day after surgery.The problem is the swelling. If the surgeon makes things look great with swelling it is not possible to know what it will look like once the swelling resolves.Good luck,hang in there.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Rhinoplasty Revision

+2

Sorry to hear that you are not happy. However, waiting to re-operate on a nose is recommended - normally for a full year. It takes this long for the swelling to resolve and if you operate on a swollen nose (since it is such a detailed operation) you could easily over or under correct the framework leaving you with a nose that looks good right away, but as the swelling resolve you then have a problem that needs to be corrected a third time. Not infrequently, a problem at 1 month resolves and fixing it early would have led to an inaccurate correction. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Rhinoplasty Revision Not Recommended 1 Month Post Op

+1

As my colleagues have mentioned before me; it is best to wait and see exactly what needs to be 'tweeked' after all the swelling has resolved. Please be patient and try not to obsess (easier said than done) over it. Noses are notoriously slow to heal. In the meantime, follow your PS instructions to maximise your outcome.

Hope this helps.

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon