4 Month Post Rhino, and Have Tip Swelling and Tender Columella. Usually a Quick Healer; Is This Normal? (photo)

I had open Rhinoplasty 4 months ago. The tip of my nose is still a bit swollen and the columella is still very tender. My question is what is the expected recovery time for the columella to no longer hurt? In the photo you can see Im still swollen. I've always healed quickly from injuries so it was strange to me that Im still hurting at the incision site. Not hurting enough to need a pain killer but enough that when I take off my make up or sneeze and use a kleenex its uncomfortable.

Swollen and sensitive after Rhinoplasty, Normal?

+1

It is normal to have tip/dorsal swelling after a rhinoplasty for up to a year. The pain you are experiencing in your columella should be significantly less, I would advise you to follow up with your surgeon and discuss your tenderness and try and figure out what is the cause.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tip Swelling and Tender Columella 4 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Tip swelling can be normal 4 months after an open rhinoplasty but the tenderness should be evaluated by your surgeon. Several things, including an exposed stitch or a low grade minor inflammation or infection, may be responsible. 

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

From your description it sounds like what you are experiencing is within the range of normal post op recovery. It's likely that swelling and sensitivity will continue to improve for another 8 - 12 months or so. Check with your surgeon about he/she feels your progress is doing. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 Month Post Rhino, and Have Tip Swelling and Tender Columella. Usually a Quick Healer; Is This Normal?

+1

Thanks for the animated posted photo, really not to helpful. I womder did your chosen rhinoplasty doc explain the healing times? In textbook discussions the FULL recovery time from a rhinoplasty could take a FULL YEAR. At 4 months much to early to not be having your issues. All more time and go back to youer chosen surgeon to discuss. 

Post Rhinoplasty Healing

+1
It is not uncommon to have some soreness after rhinoplasty especially in the tip and columella area. This area of the nose is very sensitive. If you do not have recurring redness or Inflammation in the area then just give it some time and the tenderness should resolve itself soon. If you do see any signs of redness or Inflammation then see your surgeon for a recheck apointment. As far as the tip swelling this is the last swelling to completely dissipate and this can take an entire year to fully heal. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty post-op

+1

It is difficult to predict when the sensitvity from your rhinoplasty surgery will improve. It varies from patient to patient. The swelling can take up to a year or more.

Tenderness After Rhinoplasty, What is Normal?

+1

Healing after a rhinoplasty is a process.  The more extensive the procedure, the longer it takes to recover.  It is not unusual for the tip of the nose to be tender to the touch for a while after surgery and this can take several months to resolve.  The time to be concerned is when the area recurrently swells, becomes red, drains or crusts up.  All of these would indicate an infection or foreign body reaction.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon