Rhinoplasty Recommendations for the Bottom Half of my Nose? (photo)

I'm a 28 white female. Honestly was considering the lip lift for quite sometime but decided against it due to scarring. Currently undergoing braces to move my lower bite so I will be postponing any nose surgery until that is finished. However, I wanted to get professional opinions on my nose! A recommendation I received was to lessen the upturn and straighten the bottom of nose. I'm kind of hesitant of this because i just can't imagine it. I have no hump, the tip just needs to be refined.

Not sure you need a rhinoplasty.

+1

Dear Lynn2569;

Based on the photograph that you offer, I am not sure I would recommend any surgery.  It is not totally clear exactly what “lessening the upturn and straighten the bottom of the nose” would be, but I don’t blame you for being a bit skeptical. 

As far as refining the tip, it is hard to tell what would be wise without seeing a frontal view. 

I think you should have an additional consultation or two because from where I sit, looking at your profile, you look pretty good!

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Rhinoplasty Recommendations for the Bottom Half of my Nose?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty, for over 20 years and I only have a profile shot so I can't really see the front of the nasal tip.  IMHO, the nose appears shortened with an over-rotated nasal tip that's at 120 degrees.  The aesthetic maximum for nasal tip rotation is 115 degrees for women and 110 degrees for a man.  This over-rotation makes the columella have increased "show" or prominence.

Closed Rhinoplasty to refine the tip using a retrograde tip plasty, one of the only tip thinning techniques that won't  cause the nasal tip to rotate upward further.  A Columellar tuck and if you desire, an Upper Lip Augmentation.  On profile, your chin is quite weak.  This is easilly corrected with a Chin Implant placed through an incision under the chin to balance the nose and lower face.  Hope this helps.

Rhinoplasty Recomendations

+1

It is best to complete your orthodontic work as you are doing. After looking at one picture, not examining you, and not talking to you I suggest you add to your radix, lower your dorsum minimally, slightly decrease tip rotation, lift the columella, reduce the nasal spine, and place a chin implant.

Tip rhinoplasty nasal tip refinement

+1

It is always helpful to  have 2 views when making a  rhinoplasty plan but with what you have shown, and assuming you are seeking the "ideal" (noses are very personal) aesthetic, I would suggest tip refinement  and creating a pretip break. This would  really create an classically elegant nose. This would entail work in the lower lateral cartilage, dorsal septum and nasal bones. A very important concept in rhinoplasty is balance.  Often small changes to the tip are optimized by complimentary modifications to the dorsum or bridge of the nose   Your nose is overall venice as it is.. So stay with a subtle plan. 

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recommendations

+1

Your tip is under projected relative to your dorsum and "tense" at the nasal septal angle. You have a lot of columellar show. Lowering of the rims, conservative lowering of the dorsum at the sepal angle and increasing tip projection will give you more pleasing aesthetics.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your columella lip angle is well within normal limits for an aesthetically pleasing nose.  There is a bit of columellar show and the nostrils may be brought down a bit.  Also, without a frontal photo and in-person exam, the exact surgical plan can't be determined.   Waiting until the orthodontia is completed is a good idea.  Then you should consult with a Board-Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Good luck.

David Alessi, MD

Recommendation for rhinoplasty

+1

. The columella lip angle is OK

Two things: consider a small chin implant and lower ever so slightly your dorsum to achieve a slight "suprstip" dip

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon