If I Am Considering Rhinoplasty-- How/ What Would You Reccomend to Fix my Nose?

I know that I want the dorsal hump minimized and the overall size reduced, but would like to maintain the natural sharpness as to not look like a different person. How possible is this?

Excellent rhinoplasty preserves natural structure and facial identity

+2

Rhinoplasty should not make you look like a different person but change the nose to harmoniously fit your other facial features.  Looking at your pictures dorsal hump reduction of the bone and cartilage would give you a more pleasing profile.  I would also reduce or deproject (bring closer to your face) your nasal tip.  Your nasal tip should stick out from your face about the length of your upper lip.   As your nasal tip is slightly ptotic or droopy, your nose would also benefit from some mild upward tip rotation to increase your nasal-labial angle.   Hope this helps in your discussion with your surgeon!

Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

When the dorsal hump is not large, it is unlikely to look like a different person following rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Your request for improvement of the contours of your nose is very straight-forward and absolutely possible.  Because the dorsal hump is not terribly large, it is unlikely that you will think you look like a different person following surgery. 

In addition to reducing the dorsal hump, I would recommend that you narrow the dorsum and decrease the length of the nose by increasing its rotation slightly.  The natural contours of your nasal tip, which I believe you are referring to as “sharpness”, look fine.  I would not suggest making any changes to the tip.  Your rhinoplasty surgery could be quite easily accomplished through a closed approach, so that there would not be any visible external incisions or scars.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fix my nose

+1

Everything has to remain in balance. Your nose has some dorsal prominence and overprojection relative to your lip.  The tip and width look ok now but after the hump is reduced and set back the tip will seem larger and the nostrils wider. They need to be shaped to harmonize with the new profile and projection. Doing these steps and trying to avoid tip rotation upward would probably meet your goal of improvement without being "face changing".

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Retain the nasal delicacy by maintaining the support

+1

Your skin is medium-thickness and will not shrink appreciably.  Further, as it shrinks it will thicken. That is why patients may feel that their noses have become larger or rounder after surgery.

The way to avoid that thickening and loss of shape is to rearrange rather than only reduce.  In your case that means reducing the large parts and strengthening or reshaping the weaker or more blunt parts to keep shape. 

You should be able to get a nose that works well, has no bump, and looks as delicate as what you have now.  Make sure that you find a surgeon who can demonstrate correction of similar problems in other patients, and someone whom you  like and trust.

Good luck!

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Doral Hump

+1

The dorsal hump, which is made up of both bone and cartilage, could be reduced via a closed rhinoplasty (without visible external incision on the nose).  Your other nasal features could be preserved, resulting in a nose that still looks like your nose.  this would result in a nose which is in balance with your other facial features only  without the hump.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What would Rhinoplasty do?

+1

From your photos, there's a dorsal hump of both cartilage and bone that would be reduced.  Reducing the nasal bone hump would then require fracturing the nasal bones towards the midline to recreate the normal, thin nasal bone architecture.  The nasal tip should be thinned.  This can be done with a closed Rhinpoplasty.

Rhinoplasty changes

+1

The result of a good rhinoplasty should not make you look like a different person . In your case, the changes that can be made to your nose should invite comments that are directed towards a positive change in your appearance without the observer thinking it was your nose that was altered.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural Result with Rhinoplasty Reduction

+1

With rhinoplasty surgery your hump can be removed, the tip narrowed and refined, and the base of your nose lifted to give the illusion of lengthening your  upper lip. In the hands of an experienced surgeon a natural result can be achieved - you want to improve your appearance, not change it.

Rhinoplasty to reduce size of nose

+1

Rhinoplasty procedures are customized to fit each individuals desires for degree of change.  You can have the dorsal hump reduced modestly or quite significantly.  Your tip can be elevated a bit or a lot. You need to communicate clearly with your surgeon what your desires are.  Tell him or her that you wish to maintain some degree of ethnicity to your nose.  A good surgeon should be able to honor this request and achieve your goal. 

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Rhinoplasty for nasal hump and tip.

+1

Yes, you can have a natural nose with refinement of the tip and reduction of the bump in the bridge IF you choose a surgeon who does natural, non surgical looking noses. Look at his photos and talk to his patients. Seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.