Is Rhinoplasty Realistic for the Type of Nose I Have?

I have been told "You could be really pretty if your nose was smaller..." I have a really wide nose, but I am white. I have never seen anyone, or any pictures with a nose even similar to mine. I definitely DO NOT want a pinched, or a completely different nose, just a more refined version of MY nose. Is that even possible? Rhinoplasty scares me because my nose is so unique. I have never felt my face was balanced, but I don't want a different nose... any input would be invaluable.

+2

For starters, I would like to commend you on your approach to this issue.  Rhinoplasty is a very personal decision and one that should not be made lightly.  Your expectations are perfectly in line with what is acheivable with today's techniques and your outlook is one that is ideal for the rhinoplasty patient.  The best outcomes are those that are precisely what you described.  Natural.  Refined.  Not dramatic, pinched or "completely" different.  And to be fair...in most situations such as yours...giving someone a completely different nose is counterproductive and often not acheivable.  The most experienced surgeons enhance the underlying features of your nose, alter the shape to appear more balanced and harmonious with the rest of YOUR features and give you a nose that is far more proportioned and appropriate.  This would provide a scenario where your nose is no longer a focal point.

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a Great Option to Refine your Nose

+2

Rhinoplasty is a great surgery to refine your own nose. Communication with your plastic surgeon is of upmost importance, so that he understands what changes you want and those you do not. At El Paso Cosmetic Surgery, I use the Vectra 3D imaging system to communicate with my patients. By using this three dimensional system you can actually see the changes to your nose in your face before having any procedures. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for wide nose

+1

Rhinoplasty surgery is a great procedure for refinement of the nose. It is important to find a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust and with whom you have a good rapport. This may take several consultations, but it is an important step.
Experience matters. Look at the physician’s before and after pictures and discuss your goals. With the right fit of physician to patient, you should have a lovely outcome and have a more balanced look to your facial features.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Realistic Rhinoplasty

+1

Reduction of a wide nose is a frequent request regardless of skin color. A natural, proportional result is always the goal for all of us. Carefully select your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty for the wide nose.

+1

Good rhinoplasties refine someone's looks without making them look abnormal. You have a very wide nose and bump and wide tip. These can be made to look more attractive, but you need to discuss YOUR GOALS with the surgeon.

The best rhinoplasty is one that makes you look better but still like yourself

+1

The goal of rhinoplasty is to have a natural appearing nose, one that fits your face. The best compliment I hear from patients is "I saw an old friend from High School and they said I looked great" NOT "had a nosejob?" A wide nose, even with thick skin can certainly be made narrower and help accentuate other attractive features on your face such as your eyes.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may lead to a narrower appearance to your nose.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. The width of your nose may be narrowed so it's more harmonious with the rest of your face. You should consult several rhinoplasty specialists and review their credentials and photos before proceeding.

Your expectations seem realistic, and it's normal to be a bit nervous. Selection of your surgeon is of paramount importance in achieving goals that would be established.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thick nose

+1

Tough nose, great eyes.  If your nose is not overdone, just as you have wisely mentioned, you can get a very nice improvement in your look that I think you'd like.  Research your board certified plastic surgeon carefully.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Rhinoplasty on Large Nose Will Not be Subtle

+1

Hi Denver,

Your nose is wide and your tip is bulbous.  Most likely your skin is thick and your cartilages are weak.  Rhinoplasty in a nose such as yours will likely change the way you look.  A "subtle" rhinoplasty on a large nose will result in a large nose. You must first of all want the surgery for your own reasons, not based on what others say, and secondly must communicate your desires and fears with the rhinoplasty surgeons with whom you consult.  You should get multiple opinions, and then be sure to choose your rhinoplasty most carefully if you decide to go ahead with the procedure.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Michael A. Persky, MD

Refining wide nose with rhinoplasty

+1

You should be able to have some refinement done to your nose while still retaining your individuality.

Meet with some rhinoplasty surgeons to discuss what results are possible in your particular case. Look into the before and after results of your potential surgeon to assess their aesthetic.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD