Rhinoplasty - Questions about my wide, bulbous, flaring nose? (photo)

Hi, I am 19 and Indian background. I want to make my nose less bulbous? Would it make much difference to my nose? Does it look like I have thick skin? I want a thinner bone at dorsum. I want a straight nose. I want to make my tip less bulbous and want to get it refined. I’m worried by narrowing nostrils and refining tip, nose would look piggy. My dream nose is the one in last picture, is a nose somewhat like that too unrealistic for me? How difficult is my nose in terms of what I want done?

Rhinoplasty for Indian nose

+3

Thank you for your question. An open rhinoplasty with cartilage grafting of the tip and in fracture of the nasal bones plus lowering the bony dorsum can certainly refine your nose and should be able to achieve the desired look.

I would not do an alar base resection as this would interfere with your breathing and I think you will not needed after your rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty - Questions about my wide, bulbous, flaring nose?

+2

The dorsum, tip, and alar base can be narrowed and refined to produce a more balanced nose.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Realistic Rhinoplaty Results

+2

While all of the desires you listed are possible during a Rhinoplasty, your anatomy dictates the extent to which a surgeon can accomplish these requests. Function, or your ability to breath can never be compromised by seeking a cosmetic change. This is especially true when thinning a nose.

Find a surgeon who will realistically computer image you so that you can determine if the changes shown warrant you going through the procedure.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and wide bridge

+2

The rhinoplasty procedure involves narrowing the bulbous tip with a combination of cartilage removal and suturing techniques of the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. Medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones are required to narrow the nasal bridge line after the hump has been shaved down. Narrowing of the nostrils is accomplished with alar plasty, but only when wide nostrils are present relative to the remainder of the nose. For many examples, please see our rhinoplasty photo gallery the link below

Indian Rhinoplasty result

+2

There are many positive changes you can make to your nose, including hump reduction and tip elevation and refinement. However it is unknown and may not be completely realistic that you will end up with your 'dream nose'. Some of that is due to the thickness of your skin and the unpredictability of how well it will shrink down to the reshaped bone and cartilage framework.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD