Rhinoplasty Questions.. Is It Possible or Will I Look Funny? (photo)

I am a 27yr old female currently thinking of getting Rhinoplasty. But I have some things i'm curious about.. Do rhinoplasty surgery consist of breaking the nose bone or is it for those who want a narrow nose? In my case the bottom part of my nose is wide but I dont want any bones to be broken. Is that possible by narrowing the nose without breaking the nose? I know its the bones on top of my nose that makes it wide but I dont want that part to be touch..I just want the nostrils not to be broad.

Rhinoplasty without osteotomies

+2

Narrowing the nasal bones is one of the reasons osteotomies (fracturing the nasal bones) are performed.  If you do not want your bones to be broken, then the appearance of your nose can certainly be improved without doing so.  The width and flare of the nostrils can be improved without touching your nasal bones.  

Rhinoplasty expectations

+2

During the rhinoplasty operation there are several different techniques that are used to narrow the nose.  Breaking the bones (osteotomies) are indeed one way to narrow the nasal bones.  Doing so narrows both the nasal bones and the upper lateral cartilage which represent the upper 2/3 of the nose.  Tip refinement techniques such as removal of cartilage and sewing tip cartilages together attempt to narrow the tip itself.  Alarplasty incisions at the base of the nostrils are performed to excise excess skin to narrow the wide nostrils.  These techniques can be done in conjunction with one another, and your specific concerns are addressed during the consultation.  It is important to find a surgeon who is very experienced in rhinoplasty to get a natural result.

Rhinoplasty - Can it leave me looking 'funny'?

+2

Your concerns are real. There are unfortunately patients whose Rhinoplasty results did not meet their expectations. Make sure to meet with more than one surgeon. Clearly explain your concerns and make sure the surgeon appears to understand just what is bothering you. Next listen to his plan and make sure it makes sense to you. Additional consultations help you to solidify your understanding of your nose and what can/can't be done. A conservative surgery of the nasal tip and alae would likely improve the nose more to your liking. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Rhinoplasty Questions.. Is It Possible or Will I Look Funny?

+2

Sounds like you only desire a tip platy with wedge excisions to narrow the base width. Best to further discuss the operation with your chosen doctor so you are both on the same page. 

Limited Rhinoplasty

+2

You can limit your surgery to refining the tip and narrowing the nasal base if that is what you want to do. You will not look funny as long as you select an experienced surgeon whose aesthetics you like. Be very clear before the operation about the changes that will be made.

You can achieve the look that you want, working together with your surgeon

+1

You probably don't need to have you nose "broken" as this is usually needed when the dorsum is reduced, and when you want to narrow the nose as you mentioned. Although you did not provide a side view I supect that you may need the dorsum to be augmented slightly, and this would give the appearance of narrowing the nose without "breaking" it. The lower part of the nose can be narrowed by removing some of the tissue making up the sides of the nose (alae).

I like to modify photographs of my patients nose on the computer with my patients so we can make sure we are on the same page.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon