Rhinoplasty Question: Dislike Side View of Nose

Hi, I am an 18 year old female and I've wanted to get a rhinoplasty for years. I know my nose is bulbous from the front view, however the side view of my nose is what bothers me most. I don't know the 'technical terms' for what I dislike about it, but just everything about the profile view of my nose is VERY aesthetically displeasing to me. If anyone could take a look at my picture and help me understand exactly what I might be seeing, it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Changing the Nasal Profile with a Rhinoplasty

Thank you for adding you photos, as this is helpful in answering your questions. The profile of the top of your nose is actually quite pleasing (at least in the photos that you have provided). However, the nasolabial angle (the angle between your lip and the bottom of your nose) is very obtuse or open and this is likely the area that you do not like.

A rhinoplasty, to deal with this would certainly help your profile.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and overrotated nose

It is possible  to rotate the tip downwards, reduce the columellar show, and reduce the width of the bulbous tip. Computer imaging performed in the office setting also be helpful to understand what can and cannot be accomplished with the rhinoplasty procedure.

Nasal Profile

Hi there.  I believe the most important thing is to consult with a qualified surgeon in your area and discuss your concerns.  Looking at your photo, I suspect you are concerned with an over-rotated (excessively upturned) nasal tip.

The ideal “nasolabial angle” differs between men and women. The ideal angle for men is 90 to 95 degrees and for women 95 to 115 degrees. The angle is variable between noses of different ethnicities.

I hope this is helpful.  Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Schedule a Rhinoplasty Consultation

From the pictures you provided, it seems like your nose has a slight, pointed upturn. This ailment is quite common among patients who are considering a rhinoplasty surgery, and is relatively easy to correct given the surgeon you choose has adequate experience in the field. Still, I would highly recommend that you schedule a few consultation appointments with surgeons in your area, so that you can be evaluated in person and can proceed with your potential rhinoplasty procedure accordingly. It can also be extremely helpful to ask the surgeon with whom you are consulting to see real-life examples of past patients with the same condition, so as to get a more accurate assessment of what your new nose is likely to look like.

Sam Rizk, MD

The images you have given are not a full set and it is always difficult to make a diagnosis with just a couple of images. That said, it appears that on profile your nose is rotated up more than what we would consider aesthetically pleasing. This gives the nose a short, upturned look from a side view. This can be corrected with rhinoplasty techniques which rotate the nose downwards and slightly deproject.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your nose can definitely be improved with a Rhinoplasty

Your nose can definitely be improved with a Rhinoplasty a bit of filing to the dorsum and also some fine detailing to the tip of the nose can be done to make for a better profile and a more finer look.

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is fast becoming one of the most common procedures performed. It is an out-patient surgery, with quick recovery. The surgery is tailored toward each patient, since noses vary so much. typical planning for the surgery may involve photo imaging to help design the procedure for each patient allowing the patient to help in the process. Usually several views of the nose are used. With the limited views you provided it appears the main issue is the projection of the nose and the wide tip area. All of these can be easily corrected, and most likely there are other issues that will require a more through exam, including breathing problems that may exist.

Dislike profile view of nose. ( Tension nose )

This condition is sometimes called tension nose. The reason is over growth of nasal septum which leads to over projection of the nasal structure. Simply, the nose is being pushed out of the face. The nose has to be refined and reset back by combination of several procedures which include dorsal reduction, nasal spine reduction and tip refinement in addition to reduction of anterior septum.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Problems With Profile View

In the profile view you have a small bony hump, a bulbous tip, and a hanging columella. All these unfavorable characteristics can be improved with rhinoplasty surgery.

I am not sure what bothers you exactly from the profile. If it is the upturn of the tip that can be adjusted.  The bublosity of the nose can also be corrected.