Prolonged Swelling After Rhinoplasty

I had a plastic surgery on my nose 20 years ago, but now my nose and the area around it are still swollen. Everyday it feels different. I've taken different exams, such as allergy but all of the results were negative. This swelling has appeared after my nose surgery and right after the surgery, it was worse. I don't think it's normal.

After six months it got better, but it has never gone! I can't stand it anymore. Sometimes I look terrible, it depends on the amount of swelling! Please let me know if I can do anything about it? Anything? Thanks for your attention.

Low salt diet may help

+3

The prolonged swelling that happened from the rhinoplasty 20 years ago has to do with fluid retention on the internal and external portion of the nose. Revision rhinoplasty will not help this and will only make it worse. Kenalog injections into the nose may help on a temporary basis. A low-salt diet can also help if there is true fluid retention.

Swelling 20 Years After A Rhinoplasty

+2

Everyone's nose will swell or deswell to a certain extent.  During the recovery period from a rhinoplasty, the size of the nose will fluctuate more extensively.  However, after a period of a year to 3 years, the nose has most likely reached its final healing state.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Tara,

It is really difficult to answer this question without a detailed examination of you. I recommend you go to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a consultation. Sometimes this is something that can be improved by a steroid injection, sometimes there is cartilage left over or scar tissue build-up that requires additional surgery. However, fluctuating nature of your problem is slightly puzzling. Discuss it with your surgeon.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

The "swelling" isn't swelling, it's your new nose!

+1

Swelling after nasal surgery goes away after 12-18 months. What you have now is your new nose. The part that you feel is too large can be revised, but make sure you have it done by someone who is a revision rhinoplasty specialist with a great deal of experience.